need suggestions... reptiles and recycling theme. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
sschind
need suggestions... reptiles and recycling theme.

I have two shows coming up, one a library show in August and one a county fair show in September in which I have been requested to incorporate a recycling theme into my standard reptile/amphibian show. I've been asked to do this so the organizer of the event can get their local recycling center to pay for it. Fair enough but I need some suggestions.

I figured I can talk about the importance of recycling and the Great Pacific Garbage patch and the dangers of floating plastic bags to sea turtles. The obvious ramification of trash and garbage and habitat degradation but I'd like a few more specifics. I haven't googled it yet and I will as soon as I am done with this post but I thought I would ask here if anyone was aware of any specific reptile/recycling tie ins. It can be anything from how a certain recycling effort has helped save a species or lack of a recycling plan has hurt one. Maybe how certain types of recyclables are harmful to certain species. when they were considering my bug show I thought of how often I find half full beer and soda cans and how they are often full of bugs who have crawled in and died. Something along those lines.

I have a bit of time yet so even if you have very vague suggestions I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance

Steve Schindler

Old 06-22-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
Helenthereef
This is a very emotive picture you might want to show....
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
Helenthereef
Also I really like this poster of "dangerous marine life"
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Trash fish poster.PDF (233.1 KB, 130 views)

Old 06-22-2017, 01:48 AM   #4
sschind
Thanks Helen, I saw the picture of the turtle when I did the google search and its perfect for what I want to do. I have to figure out a way to get that blown up. I don't think I'll have access to a computer, phone or screen I'll look over the poster as well but I'll have to do a bit of an edit on it though. The last thing I want to do is have to explain what a condom is.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:02 AM   #5
Lucille
Googling Twin Lakes WI brings up several recycling centers. You might check and see which one is picking up the tab and review their accomplishments. Groot, for instance, runs many of their recycling trucks with compressed natural gas, apparently much less polluting than old time diesel fuel.
Groot has a page where they explain their 'Groot Green' efforts.
If Groot is the company you could suggest 'Groot Green' bookmarks as gifts to be given out at your events. They could have Groot's phone number and your own on it, and a picture of a lizard with a caption saying something like 'I appreciate the cleaner environment', tying in your reptile show with the plusses of recycling.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Frogs are specifically something to look at - as they are massively vulnerable to water-based pollutants they are one of the the first indicators of chemical spills.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!