What is a proper feeding schedule for boas? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
the gecko geek
[quote=crotalusadamanteus;1315452]Comparing Mammals, fish and reptiles hardly argues the point validly IMO. Their needs are vastly different. Their metabolisms are completely different.

If a baby mammal, rodent or fish doesn't eat within a certain time after birth, it will die. I've had new born Boas (1 actually) that went it's first 2½ months without eating, and this is without getting the benefit of yolk absorption. And I bet they can go even longer and still end up thriving.

The animal mentioned above was fed every couple weeks for 3 months after finally deciding to eat, then went to 3 week intervals just like the rest. She seems to be thriving too, even if she is smaller then most 3 yr olds I've seen, and is not any smaller then her litter mates that ate right away, and 4-5 extra meals.

I see what you are saying. But to me, just because something can go a period of time without anything, doesn't mean it should. And that's just my opinion. I know that a snake can go VERY long periods without food. I've seen a bp go 7 months without food and still be perfectly fine. I guess I just don't really agree with feeding something that's in my eyes a baby less often than once every 14 days. I do agree that as it gets older, less often feeding are vital to maintaining healthy weights, because just like anything, with age the metabolism slows down.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #42
Metachrosis
Thats EXACTLY what I did when I asked about the comment
"to help them grow"
Your the one with sparks flying out your butt like a bottle rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
Instead of telling people they are wrong, why not just play a little devil's advocate and get the gears turning in their brains. That is one of the best ways to spread knowledge. Make people think.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #43
Metachrosis
. . . . . . .

[quote=the gecko geek;1315506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
I see what you are saying. But to me, just because something can go a period of time without anything, doesn't mean it should. And that's just my opinion.
here you are on one side of the fence
I know that a snake can go VERY long periods without food. I've seen a bp go 7 months without food and still be perfectly fine.
now on this side of the fence
I guess I just don't really agree with feeding something that's in my eyes a baby less often than once every 14 days.
then back on this side of the fence
I do agree that as it gets older, less often feeding are vital to maintaining healthy weights, because just like anything, with age the metabolism slows down.
then back yet again . . . . .

Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #44
Metachrosis
crap!
You mentioned the lack of prey diversity your your other
posts.
FWIW (we cover that here with our snakes as well)

Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #45
the gecko geek
I see both sides of the issue.
Is that not allowed or something?
Why am I not allowed to see the positives and negatives for each side, and agree with things from both?

And I've always been taught to view both sides of the fence. It keeps you from getting closed minded.
You can either handle it or not, but I'm always going to play both sides of the fence

And I'm not saying why can't we just agree on something, because I know that we won't. We all have different views and opinions on certain aspects.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #46
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
I see both sides of the issue.
Is that not allowed or something?
Why am I not allowed to see the positives and negatives for each side, and agree with things from both?

And I've always been taught to view both sides of the fence. It keeps you from getting closed minded.
You can either handle it or not, but I'm always going to play both sides of the fence

And I'm not saying why can't we just agree on something, because I know that we won't. We all have different views and opinions on certain aspects.
I agree 100%. That is what this thread is for. To educate others on what works for each of us so they can take that info and make there own decision. No one has the "perfect" way to feed anything.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #47
Metachrosis
have it anyway you want it,just dont crawfish out when you get asked
the topic is feeding snakes,over feeding goes completely against their design.
Proof has been given,references to the Pa Zoo with the oldest living captive snakes
being fed every 3-4 months.

Pretty well puts "subjective" back in the box,no you dont not have to agree,but . . . .

Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #48
Metachrosis
When my kids were in school I had no problem
questioning what they were being taught,same applies here

If you have junk sceince going in,you get junk coming out
It really isnt about "perfect" now is it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
I agree 100%. That is what this thread is for. To educate others on what works for each of us so they can take that info and make there own decision. No one has the "perfect" way to feed anything.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #49
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
When my kids were in school I had no problem
questioning what they were being taught,same applies here

If you have junk sceince going in,you get junk coming out
It really isnt about "perfect" now is it ?
And as I stated before. It's not about just one opinion. Thank you for your input.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #50
the gecko geek
I'm not crawfishing out.
Overfeeding is completely against anything's design. Be it animals or humans. I'm not saying that overfeeding is right. And evidence is solid, I agree with that too. I guess I'm just having trouble going against what I was always taught.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!