Got a baby Halmahera Blue tongue! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
savannah78754
Got a baby Halmahera Blue tongue!

Another great purchase from the Repticon this past weekend was a baby Blue Tongue Skink!
I've only had him a day, and know he probably needs more time to settle but I tried to feed him a snail, which I've heard is an irresistible snack for them, but he didn't seem interested at all. I did take him out of the tank to feed, should I leave some food in his bowl instead?
Would love to meet and hear all about these guys from you other skink owners(:

Old 10-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Lucille
Congratulations on your new skink, sometime take a picture and let us see.
I had adult blue tongue skinks at one time and they are awesome.
I'd give your baby time to settle and meanwhile research on this site about baby skinks. I don't think I ever took my adults out to feed them, but I don't think it would have mattered as they were good eaters.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
elena
Not a skink expert, but sometimes removing an animal from their environment scares them, making them not want to eat. And on the flip side, if they are not afraid, they may be too curious and want to explore rather than eat. I don't remove animals from their enclosures to feed unless I have a good reason.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
savannah78754
Okay I will definately keep him in the tank from now on, but like I said it's day one with him in the new tank so nothing to stress about yet. I'm just worried that since they eat very perishable foods like veggies and wet dog food that they won't eat it in time for it to still be good and it will go to waste

Old 10-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Karbon
Congrats!

I actually just picked up a baby Halmahera last week!
He is about 2 months old.

I wouldn't worry about eating for the first few days. Mine didn't eat at all for the first couple days, but did drink water.

Today he finally ate! I was holding him in my hand and offered him a small plate of Wild Buffalo dog food and he took down a couple mouthfuls.

Yours will eat. just need to give em' some time

Old 10-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #6
savannah78754
Thanks all! I also have some questions about temp and humidity. It seems Luke every skink species is different with these needs.. I have his basking spot at 95 and humidity at 50 right now.. is that good? Should t change?

Old 10-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
elena
95 is an appropriate basking temperature. Just make sure the skink has a cool area as well. The humidity you are providing is correct as well.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
savannah78754
Well my baby finally did eat the other day.. but almost a week after I got him. I left food in the tank but he never seemed to notice it. I've never seen him out, he is always buried.. probably because he's still scared since this is all so new.
Took me so long to find him the other day since he was buried so well in the substrate! LOL. He ate dogfood and collard greens right out of my hand when he ate the first time and it was adorable! He also has shed and he has turned from a grey and black color to a brown and black color!
He got very feisty the other day when I tried to handle him, but today I went in at a very slow approach and just pet him a lot first and he only hissed at me once and when he was awake and comfortable enough to move around i just scooped him up and he did awesome. He is still very scared of everything but progressing very very well!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!