Getting into hots - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Robinsreptiles
Getting into hots

looking to get into hots. what is a good snake to start off with and is there anywhere to buy one in michigan?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
CallmeUmaster
Id imagine a copperhead or a pigmy rattler, but there are NO venomous snakes with training wheels!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Robinsreptiles
That I understand. It wouldn't be my first to deal with just my first to own. I used to move rattlesnakes from a friends farm

Old 04-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
hhmoore
This thread has been moved out of the classifieds.
You might find some of the other threads on this topic helpful - there are a number of them.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinsreptiles View Post
looking to get into hots. what is a good snake to start off with and is there anywhere to buy one in michigan?
A copperhead would probably be the best to start with. It probably won't kill you if you get tagged but it'll hurt like Hell.

The dusky rattlesnakes are cool too, they stay smaller and don't pack the punch of the larger rattlers like the Eastern or Western diamondbacks.

You will first want to make sure that it is legal for you to keep them in the city you live in.

As for where to get something, you would be better off picking one up locally versus having one shipped with only a few legal ways of shipping hots and the costs are high with a $25 dollar box charge on top of the actual shipping costs. There are a few people who breed and or resell hots in Michigan who may have something you are looking for. If you can't find anything / anyone let me know and I'll make some inquiries as I used to live in Michigan and still know a number of people up there.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Utta
Tbh, id start with a rear fanged like a mangrove.

But if you wanna jump right into HOTS get a copperhead (heaven forbid if you get tagged, you wont pass away) just everything Daveness said.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Dannypython
well, i reccomend getting a water snake or other mean snake, keep it for a year, and if you get bit, start over until you can safely work with it. mangroves are good because they have poor delivery, but are very angry. mine is calmer than most, but alot are phsyco. copperheads are good, realatively calm and fairly mild venom, compared to a diamondback or a fer-de-lance. hots are no more challenging in terms of habitat, its just handling and transport that is incrementaly more dangerous. good luck, and if you want a copperhead, in your area, people will probably call you to get rid of them off of their land if you put the word out.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
If you want to take it serious, your on the right track by asking questions. Members of this site I would recommend talking to would be BW Smith and Tim Cole. (didn't mean to leave anyone out, just posted what came to mind)

I've always figured if you are going to take up boxing, you find a coach, and you get in the ring, and you box. Although handling of non venomous reptiles with similar demeanor as a venomous you're interested in is good in some cases, I find people tend to be more relaxed, and not as on edge as they should be when having to handle the real thing for cleaning, health check ups, what ever.

Another good site for info...

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/

A good site for the tools you'll need if you don't already have them.

http://tongs.com/

Good luck. I'm working on 15 years now that I gave up keeping Hots. I do miss many aspects of it though.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannypython View Post
well, i reccomend getting a water snake or other mean snake, keep it for a year, and if you get bit, start over until you can safely work with it....
Had to LOL at that...probably VERY good advice.

I've never owned venomous snakes, but have kept most native species at one time or another, as well as a few boas and a python. The single most dangerous snake I've ever had was a large water snake that just loved to bite and would work at getting an opportunity. It was very fast. Bites were nasty and it didn't take long to want to avoid it.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
venomaddict1
I am willing to help. I live by you. Email me if you are serious.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!