Gopher Tortoise encounter - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
MDC_Ophiuchus
Gopher Tortoise encounter

So I came home this Sunday afternoon and let out my two dogs. They immediately ran to the back fence. I followed after them to see what held their attention so passionately, and lo and behold, an adult gopher tortoise was trying desperately to access my property! I hopped the fence and snapped a few photos. After I left the tortoise to its own quest, I came inside. Moments later, as an afterthought, I decided to try and get some video footage of this rare encounter. Consequently, the tortoise had hastily left the area. I searched for it to no avail. However, I did come across what must be its burrow.

I am pretty stoked that an endangered species has taken up residence so close to my property. I'm hoping that mayeb I can get our local FWS to get some signs put up to help protect the site, and perhaps some "tortoise crossing" signs as well, since its not very far from the road.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!