Throwing around a group travel idea and would like your input! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:42 AM   #1
WJS Herps
Throwing around a group travel idea and would like your input!

Happy Thanksgiving all. I have been mulling something over for a while now and may start taking some action on it...

I have been to Costa Rica numerous times, though it has been several years since my last trip. I have always wanted to put together a "herp themed" trip down there, something has always come up. I'm going to be doing a family trip down there soon and get myself re-acquainted and scope some things out.

My question is sort of a narrative one:

I'd like to set the group trip up for sometime in the next couple of years. There is a certain amount of planning and arranging to be done. I would like to set up a lot of individual flexibility - i.e., I'm going to be paying my own way and don't want to be the obligatory tour guide. I would basically set the lodging up in three selected areas of the country where habitats/life zones are markedly different from each other, thus opening up the possibility of seeing more variety. I would also take into account the non-herp sights of the areas as some people might want to see a variety of birds (which CR is known for), mammals, volcanos, etc... Basically, the group would drive together to the different areas, but would have the freedom to herp with each other, go birding, hiking, etc... I was president of an outdoors/hiking club in college and we did a lot of these types of trips (just more locally).

What I would bring to the table is a basic knowledge of the different areas/habitats/climates of the country, how to get around and shorten travelling times between areas. I would also try to set a very basic itinerary with suggestions thrown in by the group. I have always liked to keep things open, because it seems like inevitably someone in the group gets irritated with someone else and looks for something else to do. I want that option open. I am also hoping that with a group of 10 total (no more than that), I can work out lodging deals and possibly deals on rental vehicles. My idea is that folks travelling solo would buddy up with one other person in a vehicle. If people want to buddy up even more than that, the vehicle costs would drop, etc. Basically we would all be using each other to get better rates! So I guess it all comes down to this - would anyone be interested in something like this? Any ideas or suggestions?

This is really in the rough stages of planning, so throw thoughts out there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!