Herp Laws/Permits Along the East Coast? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
scaledverts
Herp Laws/Permits Along the East Coast?

Hello –

We are in the planning stages of a herping trip along the east coast through Virginia, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Georgia, and FL. This trip is a fairly targeted search for green anoles (Anolis carolinensis) to document species differences along the entire range and investigate potential effects of brown anole (Anolis sagrei) invasion from the south. However, I will also be on the lookout for snakes and other herps. I have been searching around the forums for the various state laws regarding looking for herps. I have been unable to find much thus far. What I am looking for is basic information about required permits/licenses etc and perhaps more importantly what isn't allowed (i.e. snake hooks, etc). I have found some information regarding N. Carolina but not much elsewhere. Any help that could be provided will be much appreciated. I will continue to search in the interim.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
snowgyre
For Georgia, all native reptiles and amphibians (except for venomous snakes and turtles) are protected. You probably do require a permit for collection. You can contact the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Nongame Division headquarters for the necessary permits.

Headquarters Office
2070 U.S. Highway 278 S.E.
Social Circle, GA 30025
Phone: (770) 761-3035
Fax: (706) 557-3030

In North Carolina, you will need a North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission Wildlife Collecting License. You can learn how to obtain one here: http://www.ncwildlife.org/license/Li...ife_collection

I don't believe native herps are protected in South Carolina, but I would contact the Department of Natural Resources (or equivalent) in that state to learn more.

I don't know about Florida, but it probably has fairly strict collection requirements for native species. If this is part of a scientific project with an associated proposal, contact the Florida Fish and Game for more information.

If you are just looking for herps but not actually collecting them, as long as you do not stress the animals out to fit the legal definition of "take", and if the animals are not state or federally endangered, you should be fine.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
scaledverts
Thanks Vanessa,

I have found some information for Virginia already (going North to South in my search )

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/permits/guide.asp

Old 04-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
matt b
north Carolina you will need a wildlife collection license, it is only 5.00 and can be obtained through wildlife, you will want to check up on which animals are protected for they change it from time to time here, i know all of out rattlesnake species are protected, as far as coral snakes, possibly pine snakes and spotted turtles. but just check to make sure. if your planning on coming down by the coast lake waccamaw state park and the green swamp are pretty good places to look (of course you cant remove anything from the park but you can talk to the rangers and they will give you some good pointers of spots to check)

Old 04-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
scaledverts
I have found quite a bit of info regarding the various state laws. Apparently in GA there is a collection permit that is available, has anyone had any luck actually getting this permit? Also, I did find quite a few of the various laws over on KS. I'm not sure if there is a similar page here (I have not found it yet). http://www.kingsnake.com/laws/.

Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!