New York state law issues - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:10 PM   #41
Clay Davenport
Quote:
and i think this bill should only include crocs and snakes that grow larger then 6 foot.
Why on earth would you support the use of an arbitrary number as a basis for a ban, particularly 6 feet.
Are Taiwan beauties too dangerous to keep now? How about black ratsnakes, many of the boas like dumeril's and rainbows, or jungle carpet pythons? All of these commonly reach or exceed 6 feet, why should they be included?

There are only four species of boidae that pose a genuine threat to humans. Even if you concede that they should be restricted, there is absolutely no basis to include any of the others and those four should be named specifically.

As for the inclusion of all the other exotics in the bill. That is a definate problem but a common tactic in legislature in general. Group a bunch of extra stuff in with the serious issues to get it all passed. Happens every day in congress and is a pathetic excuse for law making.
The legislators easily agree that big cats should be banned, and crocs too, the entire boidae family gets tacked on to be pushed through with the real threats.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:12 PM   #42
Mickey_TLK
I finally got off my lazy rear and sent my email, and I suggest everyone else does the same.

Thanks again Jason for bringing this to our attention.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:19 PM   #43
Gary O
Re: This is why......

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoo Supply
This is why we all need to join PIJAC and have our own regulation...I know this will probably open a can of worms, but anyone that knows me, knows that I have been saying this for years. The reptile industry has to self-govern itself to keep the government from mandating "blanket" laws that ruin our industry.
TOM Snyder
I agree 110%!!!! When something threats our beloved hobby we need to stand together. We need to educate the ones that do not know about this hobby.

Awesome post.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:32 PM   #44
Bruce Lowder
A couple of notes of clarification on the NY situation:

- NY state already banns private ownership of hots and any crocodilians, so no new legislation is needed to control these species.

- The original version of this legislation banned only the 4 largest pythons species and anacondas. There were some last minute revisions before passage, and this section was, according to a staffer at the sponsoring legislators office, left out by accident....

She claims that since the bill already passed the house and senate they will have to introduce a new bill to make this and a couple of other minor corrections..... She seemed aware that this was a big error...

Hopefully, though, we can convince Pataki to veto the whole thing!!

Bruce Lowder
NY Reptile Expo
www.reptileexpo.com

Old 07-01-2004, 11:08 PM   #45
Classic Dum's
Im not all that great with legal mumbo jumbo but read the first few lines in this paragraph from what I am gathering they are saying any "INCORPO-RATED SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS IS HEREBY AUTHOR-IZED TO ENFORCE THE PROVISIONS" Wouldnt that authorize the HSUS and Peta to enforce this law????

8. THE DEPARTMENT, ANY PEACE OFFICER OF THIS STATE OR A DULY INCORPO-
RATED SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS IS HEREBY AUTHOR-
IZED TO ENFORCE THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION AND ISSUE NOTICES OF
VIOLATION TO PERSONS IN VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION, AND SHALL HAVE THE
AUTHORITY TO SEIZE ANY WILD ANIMAL HELD IN VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION.
WILD ANIMALS SEIZED OR SURRENDERED PURSUANT TO THE PROVISIONS OF THIS
SECTION SHALL BE TRANSFERRED TO A DULY INCORPORATED WILDLIFE SANCTUARY
AS DEFINED IN THIS SECTION, OR A ZOOLOGICAL FACILITY ACCREDITED BY THE
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF ZOOLOGICAL PARKS AND AQUARIUMS, OR SHALL BE
HUMANELY EUTHANIZED. THE DEPARTMENT SHALL ALSO HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO
SEEK INJUNCTIVE RELIEF IN ANY COURT OF APPROPRIATE JURISDICTION TO
PREVENT CONTINUED VIOLATIONS OF THIS SECTION.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:01 AM   #46
E2MacPets
I sent out the same message Jason sent via fauna, to all registered at my website.

It's a shame that I actually recieved replies "please take me off your list."

This is always going to be an uphill battle, regardless.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:10 AM   #47
Classic Dum's
ya one of the buisneses that I called yesterday seemed rather agitated about me calling. its a shame that some people cant see the reality of this, our actions today will define tomorrow, for all of us.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:14 AM   #48
Classic Dum's
Hey thanks for passing it along!

Old 07-02-2004, 12:22 AM   #49
Classic Dum's
HOWEVER, A LICENSE TO POSSESS A VENOMOUS SNAKE
OR SNAKE OF THE BOIDAE FAMILY PURSUANT TO THIS SECTION SHALL NOT ALLOW A
LICENSEE TO EXHIBIT SUCH SNAKE IN A SCHOOL HOUSING ANY GRADES PREKINDER-
GARTEN THROUGH TWELVE.

what that says is even if the state grants someone a permit to keep the animals they may not use any kind of boa or python for reptile lectures within a school K-12, thats sad really sad

I guess since they left out the crocs the state4 of NY feels the school kids are safer with a 12 gator or 10ft croc monitor than a childrens pythons or sand boa

Old 07-02-2004, 12:22 AM   #50
MGReptiles
Sent mail to all my list and to the gov...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!