Found some eggs... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

View Poll Results: Should I take the eggs?
Yes 4 20.00%
No 16 80.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
lostkauze
Found some eggs...

I was out working, when in a large ficus tree, I found 4 small eggs in a hole (in the tree). They are round and pretty hard. I thought about taking them and incubating them myself, but have no idea what they could be.

They are too small to be bird eggs, but too large to be normal 'garden lizard' eggs. I doubt it was a snake because it was about 6 feet up, and we dont have arboreal snakes here in south florida

interestingly enough, last week at the same park, i saw a large lizard like and iguana-- about a foot in length, bright green with blue and yellow around the eyes. I found it in a tree and scared it up further and it moved quite well in the tree. before I scared it, it moved like a chameleon all jerky and stuff... any insight?

Anyways, should I take the eggs or leave em where they are? I think it'll be a cool surprise to see what happens.

Thanks!
Michael

Old 07-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
gmherps
Throw them in the incubator or a deli dish outside.
Then just let them go after successful hatching, but take a bunch of photos. Just incubate at the temperature you've been having there.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
Mark and Aimee
You have no clue what they even are, and you are going to try to incubate them? There's a great way to get stuck with something you have no clue how to take care of.

Do yourself a favor, and leave them alone.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:39 AM   #4
lostkauze
Mark and Aimee, that's what I've decided to do. Even though if I did release them, its not the same environment, and I do have no clue what they could be. So I'm going to leave em there and check back once a week and see what happens.
Michael

Old 10-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
For natures sake........NO

Personally, I say leave them be. Check on them daily if you wish, but leave nature to do its thing. Human interference, even with a good heart, often times ends up hurting wildlife.

You have no clue what they are. Reason #2 to leave 'em be. Most herps that I know of lay several eggs. More than 4 for sure.
Some bird eggs are pretty small. 4 seems about the right # for some birds. Some birds are migratory, and are protected until they fly home.

These are things I would make sure I knew before messing with any wild laid eggs of any sort. If you can't ID them, leave 'em be. That's just a good rule IMHO.

Ciao,
Rick

Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #6
Cat_72
Ever seen finch eggs? They are REALLY small, lol. That would be my guess as to what they are.....but just a guess.

I'm glad you decided to leave them alone, but I'd be really curious to see if and what they hatch!

Old 11-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
Bahamut
Since you live in south florida, your description of the lizard really sounds like a Knight anole. They are not native to florida. They were introduced accidentally from Cuba a long time ago. Also, as a side note, many of the native snakes in florida, such as the rat snakes, will climb trees even though they are not really arboreal. They just don't normally lay their eggs there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!