Reptster Shipping - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #21
spawn
Steve, did you ever find out anymore? How does this work liability wise?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #22
hhmoore
From what I have heard, Reptster hopes to offer shipping via UPS in the not too distant future - can you confirm that, David?

It certainly wouldn't surprise me - UPS has been demonstrating that their rulebook bends for the almighty dollar for years... Their written policy states no snakes, and they usually flat out refuse to take them when properly labeled...but many of the higher volume sellers use them exclusively. With FedEx positioned to get a greater share of our business, UPS was bound to come on board.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #23
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
From what I have heard, Reptster hopes to offer shipping via UPS in the not too distant future - can you confirm that, David?

It certainly wouldn't surprise me - UPS has been demonstrating that their rulebook bends for the almighty dollar for years... Their written policy states no snakes, and they usually flat out refuse to take them when properly labeled...but many of the higher volume sellers use them exclusively. With FedEx positioned to get a greater share of our business, UPS was bound to come on board.

I know a few people who ship with UPS , and they get around the "No snakes Rule" by telling UPS that they only ship lizards. And they do ship lizards, but they also ship snakes as well.

I think it would be great to have another shipper to legally ship snakes.... It stinks when you have no other options.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #24
DavidYoung
If you would contact me personally on the UPS issue. I am not ready to release the facts on that just yet. We have a huge suprise in store though.....

As far as liability goes it is exactly as I stated. You are shipping through FedEx and its the same terms as if you were shipping verified through FedEx. Jim misunderstood what I was saying when I stated that you cannot use your FedEx account number through Reptster as FedEx has no way to process your account through a third party. Which means your FedEx sales rep would not have anything to do with your Reptster FedEx shipping. However if your package is having issues and you need customer service you can call FedEx or me. I have demonstrated on a few occasions I will customer service the package but you can call FedEx @ 1800-go-fedex and give your tracking number just as well.

Thanks,
David Young
727-686-5456
dyoung@reptster.com

Old 07-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #25
Gary O
david, This is just AWESOME! I mean this is a huge step for the reptile community. You will have an email from me. here in about 5 minutes.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #26
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidYoung
If you would contact me personally on the UPS issue. I am not ready to release the facts on that just yet. We have a huge suprise in store though.....

As far as liability goes it is exactly as I stated. You are shipping through FedEx and its the same terms as if you were shipping verified through FedEx. Jim misunderstood what I was saying when I stated that you cannot use your FedEx account number through Reptster as FedEx has no way to process your account through a third party. Which means your FedEx sales rep would not have anything to do with your Reptster FedEx shipping. However if your package is having issues and you need customer service you can call FedEx or me. I have demonstrated on a few occasions I will customer service the package but you can call FedEx @ 1800-go-fedex and give your tracking number just as well.

Thanks,
David Young
727-686-5456
dyoung@reptster.com

I did not misunderstand you.... My problem with using Reptster is that I didn't like the idea of having to deal with anyone else but my FedEx rep if a problem should occur during shipping.
That is what you told me when you talked to me at the show.

Its hard enough dealing with the FedEx rep ..... having to go thru a 3rd party would just make it worse.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #27
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps
I did not misunderstand you.... My problem with using Reptster is that I didn't like the idea of having to deal with anyone else but my FedEx rep if a problem should occur during shipping.
That is what you told me when you talked to me at the show.

Its hard enough dealing with the FedEx rep ..... having to go thru a 3rd party would just make it worse.
I think this is bigger then just saving a few bucks on shipping. This gives people a way to ship LEGALLY that were not doing it before. Or for the person that just needs to ship once in a great while. It will be one of the good things in the community instead of a black eye.

If you have a rep awesome. No one is saying you have to use reptster or that you are wrong for not using reptster.

I think that this is just something that needed to be done. now fed ex will know that this account will have snakes shipped and packages can be labeled correctly and without worry.

And if it saves a few people some money on shipping in this time of day that is great.

I think it is bigger then saving a few money though. It is a way to make people do things legally with ease! NICE

Old 07-05-2008, 08:48 PM   #28
TripleMoonsExotic
Keep in mind, it's not a legal issue at all, it's a policy issue per courier company. It's not illegal to ship nonvenomous snakes through these companies.

I still see issues coming up with this since these people using Repster don't really have to be certified...They just have to watch a video (in reality, how can you prove someone actually watched the thing?). At least with the certification process you have to show that you ship correctly to get the waiver.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:48 PM   #29
John E Dove
Mr. Young,
Would you be so kind as to post some details here in this thread on how your new shipping works as well as some idea on fees involved, what areas you service etc?
I know, I could email you but if this is 100% on the up and up there should be no reason for not supplying more detail than what was presented in the video. And please, no one take this as my casting any aspersions on Repster or Mr. Young. I am just someone who like to see everything out in the open for all to see rather than dealt with in secret.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #30
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Keep in mind, it's not a legal issue at all, it's a policy issue per courier company. It's not illegal to ship nonvenomous snakes through these companies.

I still see issues coming up with this since these people using Repster don't really have to be certified...They just have to watch a video (in reality, how can you prove someone actually watched the thing?). At least with the certification process you have to show that you ship correctly to get the waiver.
Actually, Steph, it IS a legal issue. Regardless of company policy, lizard or snake - by law, if there is a living thing inside the box, it has to be accurately labeled as such (think Lacey Act). All the people that are "flying under the radar" or just plain lying about the contents are in violation. Gary's point is that this (Reptster) offers an easily usable alternative...letting people actually declare the contents of the package they are shipping.

On that note, IS Reptster making that requirement known? What about auditing packages for compliance?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
repster, reptster