ship your reptiles website - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #61
Jadie.Glitch
Thanks for the info ^_^. I'm probably going to have to go down the "find scraps and construct your own shipping box" method... I'll have to get heat/cold packs though...

Maybe I should just sell with local delivery/pickup for this season again and save up their money for good shipping supplies for NEXT season.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #62
HISSGUY
You could buy the materials locally. The boxes can be got virtually anywhere. You can get the styrofoam at michaels or hobby lobby and cut it yourself. And the heat packs can be found at walmart in the hunting section. They are the hand warmers. Add a pillowcase and some zip ties and you are ready to ship.

Just be sure to make everything secure and use sturdy boxes.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #63
robyn@Pro Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by HISSGUY View Post
You could buy the materials locally. The boxes can be got virtually anywhere. You can get the styrofoam at michaels or hobby lobby and cut it yourself. And the heat packs can be found at walmart in the hunting section. They are the hand warmers. Add a pillowcase and some zip ties and you are ready to ship.

Just be sure to make everything secure and use sturdy boxes.
Sorry, but PLEASE don't do this. Hand warmers are NOT shipping tools. They are too small, and have too short a duration, to be used for shipping. Use AT LEAST a 40 hour heat pack.

Please read the info on our site, we provide you the tools, info and proper materials to be a SUCCESSFUL shipper. We stress this AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN on our site. There is even a monster sized warning at the start of the How To Pack video. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!

Inferior substitutes are NOT acceptible. You can provide your own box and insulation, sure, but not any old box and insulation will do. Not any old heat pack will do.

If hobbyists use the site, and ship poorly, especially due to substandard packing and materials, WE WILL ALL LOSE. Your success is our success, and your failure is our failure. How you ship can affect the ENTIRE FUTURE of our reptile hobby.

The shipping kits are meant for a one-off shipment. You have one shipment, perhaps two, and you just want the materials needed to accomplish that. They are a nicely packaged product meant to serve that purpose.

If you are going to be shipping frequently, or want materials for 10 shipments, DEFINITELY order the pieces separately. The shipping kits have a premium price because it is preassembled, includes all your pieces, and is very small quantity.

But we offer each of the ingredients separately, bags, delis, heat packs, boxes, and all are available in small quantities (10 or so pieces) and larger quantities (50 or more pieces). If you need more than 4 or 5 kits, definitely buy in bulk and put them together yourself, much cheaper.

Also, the shipping kits ship by themselves, they are literally a pre-sealed box that gets a label and is sent out the door. Hence the $7.50 flat rate PER KIT.

With your bulk supplies (everything but the kits) your order will be assembled and shipped in a larger box, and there is flat rate shipping, which is $9.50 for an order up to $150.

So you could order a bunch of separate supplies, all the ingredients to make up your own kits, and pay just $9.50 for shipping. But EACH KIT that you order carries its own separate $7.50 shipping fee. Make sense?

Again, I must stress, as it is important and impactful for the success of SYR, you must be responsible, and make intelligent choices, when shipping live reptiles, as it affects all of us, and when using our site to book your shipment, you AGREE to meet OUR SHIPPING STANDARD, or better, when packing your reptile.

In today's litigous world, one where reptile-banning laws are up for debate RIGHT NOW, this is more important than ever. Your success is our success. Please, no shoddy insulated boxes, and definitely no hand warmers!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #64
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HISSGUY View Post
And the heat packs can be found at walmart in the hunting section. They are the hand warmers.
UGH! Terrible advice.
Those are HAND WARMERS. They are not heat packs meant for shipping.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #65
robyn@Pro Exotics
This text is at the start of the How To Pack video, all over our site, and heads up our Shipping Standards text. We take it dead serious. We aren't taking the ShipYourReptiles adventure lightly!

Why you must follow these shipping standards:

Some people in the general public, including UPS employees, are afraid of snakes and reptiles. We at ShipYourReptiles.com and Pro Exotics have worked hard with UPS to prove that properly packaged non-venomous reptiles are safe and reliable to ship, and that reptile breeders and hobbyists are legitimate shipping customers. We are UPS-approved to ship live non-venomous reptiles—but you must follow safe reptile packaging standards.

Remember: What you do affects the entire reptile hobby and industry. The general public has a right to live their lives without encountering a snake or reptile that’s escaped from improper packaging. Every time someone ships a reptile with substandard packaging, and that reptile escapes, dies, scares or harms someone, that reflects poorly on all reptile hobbyists. It also furthers legislative efforts to ban reptiles entirely.

Take responsibility. Do your part. Pack your reptile properly. Make sure it reaches its destination safely. It’s good for the reptile, it’s good for the recipient, and it’s good for you.

So heavy. But so important : )

Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #66
Jerry_c_62

Robyn makes a great point. The kit cost may be high if you want to order supplies to ship 20 snakes.

However, if you get the supplies (boxes, styro, and a roll of tape) it will not take up that much room, unless you live in a closet.

If you are shipping an animal every month order a kit. If you ship every week, or every day, get your supplies in bulk and build them yourself.

A screw-up by one person will reflect on the entire industry/hobby. It may not be fair but that is life. If we want this to thrive, and I sure do, we must all do our part to not shed a bad light on every one.

SYR has not required that every one buy supplies from them. Help yourself and the community by being able to understand if you should order packaging by the kit or in bulk. In the end we will all be better off. IMHO

BTW Robyn, thanks for all you have done to put this together for us. I wish you the best.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #67
robyn@Pro Exotics
The support and feedback, in just two days of being live, has been tremendous. We are passionate about the reptile hobby, and we are stoked on this new business.

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #68
ophidile
Just in time! I'm going to ship my first snake tomorrow - by USP I hope! (I was fedex certified a few months ago, just made my first online sale)

Old 03-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #69
northstarboasandmore
I am going to get all signed up and do what I need to do tonight! The closest Fed Ex is about 35 miles away... The closest UPS is about 2 miles....... Its going to be great to go such a short distance to ship! THANK YOU!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #70
ophidile
Question: I watched the demos (nice vids! Didn't know about the airholes, I'd always read they weren't necessary), and I understand the reptile species and gender goes on the bag/container, and the "live harmless reptiles" printout goes such that it is immediately seen if the box is opened.

BUT, what about writing "live harmless reptile", "common name", "scientific name" on the box? I know for Fedex we were supposed to do that, and I think (?) the Lacy Act requires it, but I didn't see it mentioned on the vid or on the package guidelines.

Does the harmless reptile slip and container labeling satisfy these guidelines? If we do put that stuff on the outside box, will someone freak out and mess with our box?

Thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!