UPS and Shpping Snakes (a chance at legitimacy) - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 12-11-2003, 01:20 PM   #31
8BallPythons
245 million is a pretty big number to shoot for. At $40.00 per package that’s around 6 million shipments per year. Probably not a number we would get close to.

The major concern here is that if the additional revenue to UPS is only 1 - 2 million per year it is really not worth it to them. Thinking like a UPS exec, I would speculate that 1 million wouldn't even cover the potential lawsuits involved with shipping snakes.

Significant revenue gains will interest them. Stealing business from competitors will interest them.

Another thing that may interest them is other revenue sources. For example, they just acquired "Mailboxes Etc" and now operate that franchise as "The UPS Store". A line of reptile specific shipping supplies available thru those stores would be another source of revenue that might get their attention.

The bottom line is that the more ways you can show that doing this deal would mean an extra 245 million a year (or as close to it as possible) the better the chances. Being creative and not limiting thought to reptile shipping alone will help. I'm certainly not saying that won't say yes for an additional 20 million a year, they very well might. But, for a 1% revenue increase, they almost can't say no.

-Adam

Old 12-11-2003, 02:22 PM   #32
Darin Chappell
There is one aspect that I am hesitant to touch on this first draft, so I want to get some input before submitting it for the approval of you all.

What about the issue of current practices? I mean, a large number of people are already using the services of UPS for reptile shipments. The national corporate standard is "No snakes." However, I know of several local managers who have ignored this issue, and they allow shipping from their localities regardless. Now, no names would be mentioned, obviously, but I fear that any mention of what is currently transpiring might cause a crack down that could affect a LOT of our friends and their businesses. We do NOT want to be the ones that shut "BC Reptiles Plus" down!

However, I think it is a valid point to show that there are already thousands of animals being shipped each year via UPS without any threat whatsoever. Imagine how much better it would be for the company to know that A) they are charging appropriately for what it is that they are shipping (I mean, they may want to add a bit of a surcharge on these shipments to be somewhat commensurate with what Delta charges ... I'm not sure I would have a problem with them doing so, either, if it means being able to use them above board); and B) That they have all of the shippers they possible can, and not just the ones who have found a way around the rules.

So, what do you think? Leave it alone, or let them be able to see the whole picture? I appreciate all of your comments!

Old 12-11-2003, 02:22 PM   #33
JungleHabitats
Exclamation $24.55 million not $245 million

Big dollar difference lol so with a 1% goal
so if you break down shipment like this :

50 continental us states
If each state was to ship a minimum of 100 shipments a week that would be = 20,000 a month

20,000 shipments a month @ $40.00 ea would =$800,000.00
$800,000.00 x 12 months =$9,600,000.00

now feel free to double check me lol as i may be wrong on the numbers but i think there right .

Old 12-11-2003, 02:29 PM   #34
8BallPythons
is (24,550,000,000 * .01 = 24,500,000) really correct?

is my coffee not working today?

-Adam

Old 12-11-2003, 02:34 PM   #35
JungleHabitats
some thing i had mentioned a while back on thissubject

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...5&pagenumber=1

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=27796

the first one had some replies as to the monthly amounts shipping would generate.

The second was basically some things i tossed out to maybe possibly make the option more appealing to them for them to have some sort of "standard" they would hold us to to use there service if they allowed us to use them.

As far as clueing them in on what they alreadys have shipped each day , week & month that is a touchy thing they could say hmmm well we will fix this right now and open and reject any or all packages ... or may say hmmm well there doing already so why not take advantage and capitolize on what we already do . tough call to make i guess it would depend all on the HDIC and there feelings on reptiles...

Old 12-11-2003, 02:38 PM   #36
JungleHabitats
DOHHHHH ! ! ! I didnt notice it was Billions....

so i think you were right Adam ... my BUST!

Old 12-11-2003, 02:39 PM   #37
Darin Chappell
1% of $24.55 Billion is $245.5 million, which at a rate of $40 per box, would require an increase of 6.1375 million shipments per year for UPS. That is simply not feasable. Especially when you consider that a large percentage of the shipments being made out there are already going through UPS through honest and dishonest means.

So, I would suggest that we find another avenue of persuasion (like making it more acceptable for them to do what they are already doing, in some way) to entice them to change their policies. I know no one wants to see a surcharge on this type of shipment, but a 50% increase in shipping prices to be able to do so in an above board manner is not too high a price to pay, in my estimation.

If such a policy were adopted, the amount of shipments needed to reach that $245.5 million range would be 4.092 million shipments per year. That breaks down to about 850 shippers nation wide, averaging around 100 shipments per week. I still don't think we can get to that number, but it's a lot closer to reality than the others, I think.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:39 PM   #38
diamondback1
Guys I wish it were 24.5 or even 245 million, its 24.5 billion. This is according to my stock stats from UPS and from Forbes.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:43 PM   #39
Darin Chappell
Matt,

They were trying to figure out what a 1% increase of the 24.55 Billion would be. That's where the confusion started.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:43 PM   #40
JungleHabitats
again .. i apologize

Maybe i needed one more glass of coke.... i got dislexic there for a second ... sorry for my mistake .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!