UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, USPS - bad guys. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:36 PM   #11
Ron Billingsley
And regarding UPS....

Someone just emailed me and asked why I just didn't switch to UPS?
Well.... I tried to do that. Like most areas, we have something called a UPS Store. I walked in with a container, and asked to ship it to Colorado. First thing they asked, "What's in the box?"
I said, Excuse me? They informed me that they ship nothing without knowing what is in the boxes. I stated Live Harmless Reptiles. Well... I might as well said Dangerous Radio Active Material from the look on that guys face.
He pointed to this bright new large poster on the wall that said in big bold letters: WE DO NOT SHIP LIVE ANIMALS
And that is when I got my Known Shipper status with Delta.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:48 PM   #12
WebSlave
I suspect that if this gets a tentative nod from the attorneys I have contacted, they will certainly want evidence of damages in the past as well as a feel for potential damages in the future. This will be evidence of packages denied shipment by any of the carriers, or any other evidence along that line.

How many people here really aren't in the business yet but do intend to do so in the future? This will definitely impact YOU.

Might as well start thinking about this now and jotting down notes, plans, and experiences.

BTW, this is going to take quite some commitment from everyone. No one can just sit on the sidelines on this issue. I doubt any attorneys would take this case on a 100 percent contingency basis, so there will be some $$ needed to make this all happen.

If and when this looks like it will fly, I will set up a warchest account for this.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:59 PM   #13
Ken Harbart
Like Ron, I've had my Airborne Express account turned over to a collections agency... for a grand total of $35.

This past June, I had an outstanding balance with AE, and called to get the total and pay off my account. After the fact, they tacked on a $5 late fee, to which they have been adding subsequent late fees.

In November, I received a nastygram from AE and subsequently talked to a customer service rep over the phone, and was assured that the fees would be dropped. In a moment of sheer gullibility, I believed him and figured it was done.

Fast forward to 17 January... I receive a letter from a collections agency giving me 30 days from the date of the letter to file a written dispute. The letter was dated 16 Decemeber.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:16 PM   #14
Tom McKenna
Airborne got purchased by another company is why they are changing there policies the last few months. And my 2 cents their shipping always sucked and had hidden charges as Brian Oakley said. I use FEDEX and have a written contract from them zero hidden charges and no bs. I would be glad to send the policy to anyone just pm me your fax number and I will fax to you

Old 01-31-2004, 10:41 PM   #15
JJFOUTZ
Why not attempt a more positive approch to this problem like the one being discussed in the UPS and Shpping Snakes (a chance at legitimacy) thread in the shipping section before resorting to taking action in court?

Old 01-31-2004, 11:16 PM   #16
Brian Oakley
I cannot speak for all, and I might not be 100% accurate on this, but this is my feeling.
I doubt there is any other way to do this. They pick and choose who they will let ship, bottom line. Do they do this because some ship more than others? I think so. I was told by someone who uses UPS that the amount of monthly shipments came up in the discussion/s before being 'approved'. I would be willing to bet they did so because they knew the amount of shipments were a large number per month. So, like I said, they pick and choose.....to what degree I am not sure.

Since I sold my collection 3 years ago and been rebuilding it over the last 2, I do ot ship nearly as much as I used to. I would be willing to bet that they would not 'approve' me at this point because I do not ship enough for it to be lucrative enough for them.

Old 01-31-2004, 11:43 PM   #17
AQUATI
Light Bulbs

They were Mercury vapor lamps for a customer -

Old 02-01-2004, 12:06 AM   #18
WebSlave
Yes, I have been following that other thread. And personally I believe that going to UPS begging them to take our business will not work. We are a drop on the bucket to them. The other day I was talking to a sales rep for UPS and he was complaining because he wasn't making any headway on a state contract that would save the State of Florida a half a million dollars per year. That meant that he was trying to get that account away from some other company and the total figure on shipping had to be WAY higher than that. That was ONE contract from a single source.

What can we offer all total even combined?

No. We do not have a big enough carrot to offer UPS.

That being said, there are now two messages posted in this thread where people have recently gotten contracts from FedEx so they can ship their reptiles, which I am assuming includes non venomous snakes. If possible, I would like to see those contracts posted here as references for other people to take note of. Dan and Tom: Would you be willing to post those contracts here?

I have just reopened my dormant FedEx account. I never really used it much because I could not openly ship snakes through FedEx. So I have reopened the account and sent an email to them requesting the procedures necessary to gain approval to ship live nonvenomous snakes through them. I suggest that other people open accounts with them as well and perhaps show them that opening themselves up to our business might be a smart move on their part.

FedEx signup page

Numbers talk. Make the effort to make this work.

I had a conversation with the local FedEx driver this past Friday and he mentioned that there is a big push at FedEx to try to take away as much of UPS's business as possible. So I believe they are VERY open to new business, especially taking it from UPS. Of course, Airborne Express was always low man on the totem pole, but I am sure they would love to get that business as well. Personally, I would rather have a root canal then to go back to Airborne Express.

So, if this is true, and FedEx has become a herp friendly shipper, should I pursue the lawsuit angle? Personally, I would feel better if we had more options for shipping. No telling when a change of the guard could slam the door shut on us again. But, would the lawsuit angle be far too weak since there is now a viable way for us to ship door to door?

There are pros and cons to us all going with the same shipper en bloc. It is an excellent way to get them to sit up and pay attention to us. But all of our eggs would be in one basket.

Obviously throwing everything to FedEx would be the easiest route to take. But only time will tell if it is the best route, I guess.

Old 02-01-2004, 12:39 AM   #19
Brian Oakley
How comical. I went to the link that Rich provided and this was the message I got copied right from the site........

Due to a system failure we are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again later.

Now if that is not promising I do not know what is. Obviously they are doing maintainance or something and I will try again later, but I thought it was funny.

I will be more than happy to open an acct. if I can have the opportunity to use their services for shipping nonvenomous snakes.

Old 02-01-2004, 12:48 AM   #20
Brian Oakley
Rich,
can you provide the email addy that you used in your communication with them about our needs/your needs?
I think if we all use the same one, I assume the same person or few people read it at that addy, that it might also have a greater effect. My concerns are that if we go through different avenues of retrieving an email addy to use we might look like a single person as opposed to us all using the same addy to make (hopefully) a more positive affect for us.

Just a thought!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!