What method do you use to ship? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

View Poll Results: How do you ship your animals?
Airlines (Delta, USAir, etc). 152 26.53%
UPS - with approval from them 95 16.58%
UPS - without approval 194 33.86%
Airborne Express - with approval from them 55 9.60%
Airborne Express - without approval 128 22.34%
FedEx - with approval from them 79 13.79%
FedEx - without approval 139 24.26%
USPS - with approval from them 38 6.63%
USPS - without approval 41 7.16%
Other 21 3.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 573. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
WebSlave
What method do you use to ship?

This is going to go hand in hand with another thread here concerning shipping options. I (and others) would like to get a feel for exactly how you all are shipping RIGHT NOW.

So please, take the time to participate in this poll to help us all figure out the numbers we are dealing with as well as exactly what is at stake with efforts we may need to make in the future.

BTW, this poll allows multiple choices in case you use more than one method to ship.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
HerpVenue
Well I don't know whether to ask here or to post somewhere else.

But there are over 30 people (as of this writing) who ship with UPS WITH aproval.
Are there really that many of you?
What are the steps you took to get aproved?

Old 02-13-2004, 08:18 AM   #3
WebSlave
I probably should have made this poll specific to shipping snakes, I guess. But this should give a well rounded view of just what shipper is the most popular and the manner in which most people utilize their services. Perhaps a followup poll specific to shipping snakes will be in order when this one has run its course.

But there have been between 600 and 900 registered members on here every day. Certainly half that number are shipping animals, I would think. Perhaps I should broadcast email ALL registered members on this site to come on in and participate in this issue.

Old 02-13-2004, 08:42 AM   #4
dwedeking
Oh, what, Lizard people don't have important opinions? At least our animals come without missing their legs!!!

Ritchie,

With UPS we had to request authorization to ship live lizards. Then we went through a phone interview to discuss how we ship. The biggest thing with any of the carriers is to not take "No" as an answer. Be persistent.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
Bci Joe
I have found that Airborne misses pickups, misses deliveries, and scans boxes, risking animals health

I have found that UPS has shipped to incorrect addresses and usually demands to know what is in the box.

I have found that Fedex does not ask, nor get dramatic over some old writing on a box (Keep warm/handle with Care.. and they have NEVER done me wrong..

thanks, Joe Rollo

The reason, IMO, we are possibly excluding lizards is because many shippers i've seen/heard of are not strict about lizards and do allow their shipment.
BUT NONE will knowingly accept snakes... and unfortunately, it is mostly due to ignorance.

I bet if they knew Gila's were being shipped they would change that policy too - real quick..
because it would be easier for them to ban ALL LIZARDS than to simply worry about regulating one type.. lol

Old 02-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Darin Chappell
Rich,

While I agree that a companion poll showing the numbers of people that specifically ship snakes is in order, I have another idea for you too. How about a poll for everyone who has received snakes being shipped to them? What company(ies) did the shipment(s) come by? I think that would give you, not only a sense of what the percentages are for shipper choices, but also a MUCH larger pool from which to draw any analysis.

Like you said, about half of us ship at some point during the year. But I bet it's more like 80 or 90 percent of us that receive shipments!

Just a thought...

Old 02-13-2004, 11:49 AM   #7
Ken Foose
I started with Airborne. Had a nice thing going, everything was fine. Daily pickups, drivers were customers. Drivers knew what was in the boxes. Managment knew what was in the boxes, including snakes. Then they merged with the other company. Managment switched. All of the sudden, in one day, I was told I could ship nothing but turtles, and that my boxes would be inspected for violations.

Off to fedex I go. Shipment are fine, driver knows what's in the box. After a few weeks, I ship out a large box of very active diamond back terrepins. They make noise. Fedex calls, tells me to come pick up box. The do not allow the shipping of live animals, period. I fight, but no good. I took it as far as the vp of the company. I was told I could ship horses, but not turtles.

Off to UPS I go. They don't allow snakes. I know this. I ship snakes anyway. The driver, once again, is a customer of mine. He knows what's in the boxs. He shipped a 85 pound retic for me to Texas. Laughed as we loaded it, saying he had never picked up a snake that big, "wait til' the guys at the hub see this" and such. UPS for the most part has been good to me so far. I did ship a couple frogs to Minnisota, and they got there late and did not survive. They refused to refund my money for the lost animals, but did refund me for the shipping. They will not guarantee live arrival, period, according to the letter I recieved.

As far as Delta goes, I use them all the time. I have had no problems with them, and they are the only legit way I know of to ship snakes.

Just wanted to recap what I have used, might be usefull to someone

Old 02-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #8
Neil Gubitz
I, too, used to have the same problems.... I used to use Airborne and FedEx (at times) to ship my animals (I've never used the USPS), the driver's knew what were in the boxes and had no problems with it.... then, for no reason that I could ascertain, both of those companies decided not to ship animals anymore, and they asked me not to ship through them.... I complied.... I have been using UPS almost exclusively for 6 years now, and have NEVER had a problem with them.... The drivers, and the company, know exactly what I ship and I have never had any warnings about it at all.... It might be due to the fact that I always use brand new boxes, I always put, "Harmless Reptile", and "Keep Warm", in the Winter months.... and "Harmless Reptile" and "Keep Out Of Sun", in the Summer months.... and nothing has ever escaped or gotten loose in the box so they could hear anything "walking around".... it also doesn't hurt that I give my UPS drivers a $100 Christmas bonus every year, either (lol).... they treat my shippments like Gold!.... It also might have that "Grandfather Clause" attached because I have been using them for so long and nothing bad has ever happened.... whatever the reason, I will continue using UPS exclusively (and Delta sometimes.... I'm verified with them, also), until they tell me otherwise.... even my customers who are in areas that don't allow them to ship animals, always receive MY boxes without problems....

Neil

Old 02-13-2004, 02:35 PM   #9
sputnik
Question SHIPPING

No service is perfect - UPS, fed, airborne etc. There will be screw ups by all of them.

The problem I have is are some of these shippers allowing some to ship, but not others?

Wouldn't that be descrimination?

The stupidity of these shipping policies is just plain for all to see. These companies are also missing out on a lot more business.

With the policy stance they take, it gives some of us who ship very few items per year little choice but to ship without permission. Who is going to ship delta, with animals that are $100 or less in value?

Something needs to change!

Maybe some educating needs to take place first.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #10
Mickey_TLK
The question is flawed in a way if you were asking for snakes only, however if you asked for snakes only I would guess you could take UPS with approval off also, as to the best of my knowladge NO ONE IS APPROVED TO SHIP SNAKES VIA UPS. Some may be able to, but none are approved from above to.

However since the question asked for thoose shipping with UPS approval, and didnt get animal specific, you have to mark it.

I also think a poll on what company people have recieved SNAKE SHIPMENTS FROm, and IF THEY WERE PROPERLY LABLED, may be a good follow up poll.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!