Quick Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
boybronco
Quick Questions

Well I am considering a Tegu for a few reasons, I was going to get a Monitor as I knew I wanted a large Lizard but a few reasons why I was not going to get one is because I live in a basement, which maintains a higher humidity so that was not looking good. I also did not want to have 2 feet of solid dirt at the bottom of an enclosure. I always ignored the "Tegu" portion of "Monitors and Tegus" everywhere I went, not sure why really, just infactuated with Monitors. Anyways I happend to be bored one day (As I usually am at work) and decided to check out what Tegus were all about. I'm sold.

A few questions I have are in regards to the Blue tegus vs the Argentine B&W's. I know Blues are typically smaller, but what I'm wondering is about temperment. I've read that they are the easiest to tame and I've also read that they are more difficult to tame than Argentine B&Ws. What is the general opinion on this? I know each animal is an individual and you never know what you'll get but in general are blues more fiesty?

Along the same line as the above question what is a general growth period for a Tegu to reach full adult size? Again I understand that each Tegu is an individual but what is standard?

Are Blue tegus hard to come by? The price seems pretty reasonable considering they are not found in the wild, or at least not much is known? Who are reputable breeders of Blues? And Argentine B&W's?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Bill

Old 09-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
varnyard
Welcome to the forums!! I will try to answer a few of your questions.
The Black n white Argentines become more tame IMO than any of the other species of tegu. Not to say the blues do not become tame, but IMO the Black n whites are much easier to tame as well as more intelligent. Tegus reach breeding age at three years. The largest of these is the Argentine black n whites or also know as the giant tegu. They can reach up to 20 lbs and five feet long. The blues tend to be much smaller, 8 lbs and three feet long. They are also sold for a higher price due to them being less common.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
boybronco
The Blacn N Whites then are 5 feet?

They require 8x4x4 enclosures as adults?

When I say full grown I do not necessarily mean ready for breeding, rather near their adult size? So how long would it take for a Blue Tegu to reach 3 ft? and a Black N White to reach 5?

Thanks very much, you're very helpful.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:51 AM   #4
varnyard
Without hibernating it will take one and a half to two years to reach that size.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:35 AM   #5
clarinet45

Old 09-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
Mokele
I have blue tegu, and he has tamed, but he's not quite as docile as an Arg or Red. He's never aggressive, but he doesn't like being picked up (he prefers to roam my bedroom when he's out) and will squirm vigorously if you don't put him down so he can explore at his own pace and go where he wants. My fiancee likens him to a scaly cat: he's tame, but he'll do what he wants when he wants how he want to, and he's very stubborn about it.

Henry

Old 09-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
varnyard
Henry, this is true. The Argentine black and white and Reds tend to get more tame than the blues. But all tegus will squirm if they are not supported. Tegus do not like heights, they are terrestrial animals (Ground dwellers). Have you tried to put you hands under him to pick him up. Try this by supporting his whole body.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
boybronco
A very good description of temperment, thankyou!

I am still torn between an Argentine B&W and a Blue, luckily I do not plan on obtaining one until december-ish so I have more time to brood on it and change my mind back and forth a few times.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
Mokele
Quote:
But all tegus will squirm if they are not supported. Tegus do not like heights, they are terrestrial animals (Ground dwellers). Have you tried to put you hands under him to pick him up. Try this by supporting his whole body.
Oh, I usually do (unless I'm carrying him into the bathroom in a rush to keep him from crapping on the carpet). But even when amply supported, he gets restless after a while, and when he's out for some activity, he seems to prefer exploring. Basically like a scaly cat.

Henry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!