Who's out in the field? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
sppeavy
Im game for western Kansas road trip!!.

I want to see some Prairie rattlers and possibly coachwhips out west also. I think we may find more hognose out there also. On the black rats... do you ever see that road of I70 thats named Deep Creek rd? There is a place to the North thats called Pillsbury Crossing. People go there to swim and fish and party. Anyways, there is some old buildings around there with tin scattered about, and thats where I see alot of black rats. Thats the farthest west I have found them, but I do know some people that found them out by Hutch. I find alot of them also, just not under stones. I agree with you on the milks, I never know what I am looking at. The two large ones I found were completly different. One had a black head and the other was orange. One had perfect bands, and the other was a intresting pattern. Same with the speckled kings, and yeah, I do find prairie kings under rocks at one spot., but mostly crossing roads. I saw a very intresting baby rat snake that could have been a cross, it was crossing a road, and it was almost light grey with black back pattern blotches. It could have been a black/emoryi. Never know. Ill call you on you cages, I am going to want to see what you have. You letting the critters go as well?

Old 05-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliscott
I'm also in CA. My target species for the summer was the alligator lizard and I found one the first day out. It was in the rains that we had here about 5 weeks ago.

My next target species is the night snake. Do you have any tips?
Night snake.....night driving....LOL. I have very little experience with the bay area (I think that's where your location said), so can't help you with actual areas to look, but they are fairly easy to find night driving. Just remember they can be pretty small. For me night snakes was one of those snakes where I had the hardest time finding them.....a decade, but then once I found one I've now found a gazillion. Okay maybe only hundreds of thousands, okay maybe less, but a lot. So stick in there you will find them. In the field they are harder to find, but if I'm in an area where I know they are, I seem to find them under smaller rocks than I would normally even turn. Like say a high water line around a lake, where all the driftwood and stuff collects, I find them in the rabble ? type areas.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
I am in Santa Barbara. I could be there in three hours.
Use to go to Ventura quite a bit, to dive the channel islands, but haven't been out that way in quite a long while. If you do ever get up this way, and want to get some field work in, shoot me an IM/e-mail.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:17 AM   #14
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebreeder
Use to go to Ventura quite a bit, to dive the channel islands, but haven't been out that way in quite a long while. If you do ever get up this way, and want to get some field work in, shoot me an IM/e-mail.
That sounds great! Will do.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
HerpMasters Inc.
If anyone is interested in going herping in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, I would like to have some company LOL. Mike

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!