My Black Rat Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:37 AM   #1
snakester
Arrow My Black Rat Snake

This was my Black Rat Snake I caught 3 years ago! He was 5 1/2 feet!
He is/was Great! I had to get rid of him
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2004, 05:58 AM   #2
marshall_p
Bummer

Why'd you have to get rid of him, not being nosy, but hopefully he didn't get mean on you, usually I thought those were a more placid of the ratsnake species, a beautiful animal you have there by the way., Marshall P..

Old 05-13-2004, 01:35 AM   #3
snakester
Wink black rat

No he did not get mean we mooved and could not keep him here :-( where we are now we can only have turtles or fish<<<no thanks on the fish (I am a sold herper). But the Black Rat is normaly one of the meanest rat snakes.
Snakester aka
The TurtleGuy

Old 05-13-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
marshall_p
bummer

I'm real sorry to hear that bud, sounds like you were real fond of him, Maybe you can have some more in the future, take care & hope this note finds things well, Marshall P..

Old 09-25-2004, 11:03 PM   #5
Sand&SunReptile
Very nice black rat.
It is a shame you had to get rid of him.
If it were me, I'd personally have just kept him, and not told anyone.
Usually people arent that spiteful, unless you truly irk somewhere, to get turned in for it.
The authorities also dont go door to door searching for these guys.
The only tipoff would be you blabbling about it, and it getting leaked to the police.
Either way, sorry you had to release it. The herp laws are a bit weird here. You can have Burmese Pythons, Red Tail Boas, but you cant have Green Tree Pythons, or Emerald Tree Boas, which I think is very weird.
Then again, I could just buy one out of state, and as simple as that, nobody would ever really find out, or care all that much.
*Note to any authorities who are reading this, all I have right now,
Leopard Geckos
Ball Pythons
Rosy Boas
and Corn Snakes. LOL

Old 05-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
snakester
Exclamation Wow

Ok is this cool or what?

It has been 2 years and 1 day since I started this post! Since then I have moved back to SC from OR and moved right back to the same house (and land) that I moved from. And just a few days ago I caught 2 Black Rat Snakes one about 7' and the other about 6'!

I never said before how I got rid of the last snake... but I let it go again.
He was about 5 1/2' --- 6' feet long

I was very bummed when I had to let it go (had to because no one around here that I knew of would buy or even take it for free) but now almost two years later to the day I have twice as many as I had then!

I think that it is cool because I belive that God... Jesus blessed me for doing what was right (and not keeping the snake when it was not allowed)!!!!!

I do not belive that either of the snakes that I caught is the one I had to let go 2 years ago but there is a small chance!

I will post pics of the two new snakes A.S.A. I get them!

Old 05-12-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
marshall_p
wow

Did you end up finding him a good home or did you return him to the wild, the black rat snake is a lifer for me, that's my dream snake, I want one badly, I currently have 3 corns and a baird's ratsnake, don't get me wrong, I love what I have, but I think the black rats are awesome, just my complete dream reptile to have, let me know more in detail what happened there, thanx for the correspondence.. Marshall P..

Old 05-13-2006, 12:21 AM   #8
snakester

I am keeping the pair that I have now that I found just last week.

But just 2 days ago I found a baby Black Rat snake that I may end up selling. It is about 18" I would sell it online but I am not yet sure how I can ship snakes... I can not find any one that will knowingly ship snakes (and I will not do it if they don't allow it).
If you know of a way that I can ship it you can have the 18" Black Rat cheap or I may be able to trade for something you have!

TTYL,
Snakester's Reptiles.

I am 90% sure that the 7' Black Rat snakes I just caught is a male and the 6' I just caught is a female... So I hope to get in some late breeding with them!
Since I found them in tires less than 30' away from each other thay may have even gotten together already!

I will post pics of all of them ASA I can!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:13 AM   #9
marshall_p
Pics..

Yes, Pleeeeze do post some pics, I'd love to see them, wow, I wish I knew a way to ship also, not sure of that either, on the big ones found in the tires, were they fiesty when you tried to pick them up, how's their temperament? Just curious if they tried to bite much... Marsh.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
marshall_p
Just me again...

I knew i failed to mention something, when I was in the Navy from 81-85, I lived in Charleston, S.C., had a blast living there, you're very fortunate to have all the herps almost literally at your fingertips, I now reside in Toledo, Ohio and the opportunities are limited, I go to some places in Michigan about an hour north to look for the usual stuff around here, Fox snakes, hognose, garters, dekays, blue racers, and once in a while I'll have a real bonus and find the only venemous snake of the state of Michigan, the massasauga rattler, also known as the michigan rattler, people here are quite naive in that they even kill the northern watersnakes because they think they're water moccasins, just pure stupidity, oh well that's a whole other subject in itself, anyway, I'll always have nothing but fond memories of S.C., used to get in the field there a time or two myself, loved seeing the eastern diamondbacks and multitudes of corns, anywhere I'd find gopher tortoise holes, they're were usually eastern diamondbacks somewhere nearby, well, that's all for now, Marsh.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!