Wanted CRESTED GECKOS - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Geckos

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
Charles87
I know this is not the chat section but just my 2 cents... There IS GREEN/OLLIVE crested geckos. I have one and she has a good amount of pinning also.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
gekogirl
There are some that appear green sometimes, but cresteds don't actually come in green. And lavender isn't really purple, it's more a light gray, and that's only when they're fired down.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
AltitudeExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I don't know what rock your living under but I've seen greens and purples, lavs.
There are many rocks [i]near[i] my house, but none on top of it....

Blue, green, purple, pigments of these colors do not exist in crested geckos. Some may appear to have a "green" or "lavender" tint, and thus they are referred to as "lavenders" or "olives". But all these are just misleading shades of gray. Actual green and purple cresties are genetically impossible.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
herp_huggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltitudeExotics View Post
You know crested geckos don't come in green or purple right?
I don't understand this statement... is there another term for green cresties? (not olive, but light green). I have a green cresty, when she's fired down she's a pretty pistaccio color... she does fire up to almost black with blonde Harley pattern.... not sure what to call her, other than green.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
Sublime Reptiles
There is olive, but you will also notice in olives, it is mixed with a brown base, not a true green color like green as in this websites highlighted green areas, so olive and green should not be confused. These tend to go hand in hand often with buckskins as their olive is boarderline brown. Another thing is often epople will refer to their geckos as greens or "lavanders" and this is during the fired down state. This however is not the correct color morph for the gecko then. When putting a color onto a geckos title of what it is, the color it is when fired up is the correct term. So if your gecko is "green" unfired, but is brown fired, then you have a buckskin, or blonde (in the post before me, the you may simply have a standard if it doesnt meet the requirements of a true blonde), or whatever it truely is when fully fired. This is a common mistake made by some people, and not a mistake made by others trying to misrep a gecko they are trying to sell.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #16
herp_huggs
My "green" crested gecko is green probably 90% of the time. I'm not sure why there's a problem calling an animal by the color that it literally is. She's most definitely not a buckskin (not even close) and she's not an olive either. She's best compared to honey dew or pistaccio green. (just a very pretty, kinda pale, green) I've seen other cresties almost exactly like mine, and it would appear that some people are attempting to enhance the "green" geckos and produce more. This is how new morphs and colors are created.... which means maybe in a few years, there will literally be "green crested geckos". All I know is, I calls it like I sees it... If a hat is blue, I call it a "blue hat", even if its supposed to be called a gray hat with blue pigment... :-) to the original poster, good luck finding your green and purple geckos. With any luck, I'll get some more green ones out of my female and maybe I'll save one for ya! :-P

Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #17
Revolution1221
i understand that cresteds dont poses a green or blue color pigment but to my understanding it was actually two overlaping colors that created the appearence of green not that one shade of color just seeming to be another? which in reality it may not be caused by a green pigment but it is still green. i have both a crested that goes from green and fires brown and two that go from grey almost silverish to green when fired.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #18
Kita
What Melissa was saying is that Cresteds have 2 colors: fired (darkest) and unfired (lightest) and that Cresteds are often named by their fired color. I have 2 males that unfire olive, but fire chocolate. Thus they are Chocolate Cresteds.

And yes there are lavender Cresteds, but the lavender is 99% of the time the UNFIRED color.

I don't consider it a true lavender when it fires up gray/black because those colors are not near each other on the color spectrum, but the super rare Crested that fires pink or red from lavender is properly titled due to red actually being in the color lavender. This is merely my opinion. I have only seen 2, possibly 3, true lavenders in the 4 years I've been into Cresteds so you are highly unlikely to find one, but if you do be prepared to pay $300+ for it.

By the way, I highly suggest requesting SUNLIGHT photos to verify colors because fluorescents and camera flashes affect the color appearance in photographs.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
herp_huggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution1221 View Post
i understand that cresteds dont poses a green or blue color pigment but to my understanding it was actually two overlaping colors that created the appearence of green not that one shade of color just seeming to be another? which in reality it may not be caused by a green pigment but it is still green. i have both a crested that goes from green and fires brown and two that go from grey almost silverish to green when fired.
The funniest part about that is that you can't even produce green without blue. I understand that the gecko's skin has multiple colors working together to produce other colors.. but my idea is that a green gecko is a green gecko, no matter what the original pigments were. If you mix blue and yellow paint, you get green paint, plain and simple. Therefore, I've seen green crested geckos, meaning they exist... (most definitely not impossible that it could become more and more common to see cresties that are green all the time...)

Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #20
Sublime Reptiles
the "green" color is a mixture of the yellow and brown, making the more olivish color, hence why they tend to have a hint of brown in them. I have had an olive myself, she was a buckskin unfired, and a very weird shade of yellow green when fired up. But the fact is what I was truely seeing was an intense yellow, to which can have the green tinge due to it. Remember human eyes plays tricks on us. What happens is when the human brain can not fully distinguish a color, it often refers to the color most near it that it can clearly distinguish. This often happens with shades like greens, blues and purples since these 3 colors can easy overlap one another. So your solid green colors that you see, could be simply your brain adjusting what your eyes see in order to recognize it. You can also see this happen with food and why everything "tastes like chicken". But this also explains often why someone may see an orange gecko, and others see red, due to the color being so in between the brain pushes it one way or another (I have a gecko like this myself). So you have to be careful when claiming green, lavender, and yes moonglow lol because as stated to make these colors, the animal needs to be capable to contain that pigmentation within their skin, without it you are stuck with its basic colors to work with.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!