Shedding problems in Red Tegus. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-16-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
varnyard
Shedding problems in Red Tegus.

I was talking to Bert Langerwerf about the shedding problems with the red tegus. We both agreed we have never had this problem with any of our animals.

We both keep ours outside, the hides are underground. The humidity would be higher than in a indoor inclosure, this is why we think these tegus have problem with sheds indoors.

In the wilds of South America where the red tegus come from, the humidity is very high. It would be at 80% or higher most of the time there, I would think even higher underground. If you mist your cage, is your hide damp as well? I would not think that the hide inside the indoor inclosure would have this high humidity level needed. This is my thoughts on why they have shedding problem inside, I do not keep my tegu inside, so this is just a opinion as to why this might be happening.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Wolfy-hound
Good point, and I will start misting heavier, and into the hide too. Later when these are bigger they will have an outdoor pen as well, but right now they are too little to stay outside.
Thanks for sharing too!
Theresa

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!