Photos Of My Blue Throated Macaw - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:06 AM   #1
Mikkwa
Photos Of My Blue Throated Macaw

This is Kachina Raye Skybird, my Blue Throated Macaw that is still at his breeder's due to not being completely weaned yet. He will be 6 months old the 30th of this month and is off formula now. He just needs to settle in to eating on his own a bit more and used to being a "big boy".

I got to visit him this past Thursday. Of course he didn't let me hold him since he doesn't know me. That will come when he gets home & settles in.

For anyone who is not familiar with parrots, Blue Throated Macaws were put on the Endangered Species List last Nov. This was decided after many years of controversy over the decline in numbers of them in their native lands in South America. This means that they can only be legally sold and bought in the state they are hatched in by residents of that state. They cannot be transported across state line for commercial purposes unless you have a special permit from the Fish & Wildlife Dept. At the moment those permits are only issued to breeders qualifying for the Federal programs to further the wild populations of the BTM.

As an owner legally purchasing a BTM I can take my bird with me for recreational purposes or during moving within the Continental US. This has put a hardship on some of the breeders, Kachina Raye's included to find enough homes within their state to sell their BTMs. Some breeders have thus quit breeding and selling them.

I was not actually looking to get another parrot and especially another macaw since I already have 3 when I found out about Kachina Raye. I am a Co-Admin. on a small Parrot/bird forum site. One of my Co-Admin. contacted me with info of a BTM that needed a home that would be sympathetic to the "not so perfect" feathered kids. Two of my other macaws fall into the 'special needs' category. One of our Super Mods who lives in Ohio found out about Kachina while searching for BTMs online. She told Wendy, my Co-Admin who lives in the UK. Wendy sends me photos full well knowing if I see this cutie I will not be able to turn him down. And of course I couldn't!! Our standing joke is that he had to travel over a thousand miles to another state to across the Atlantic and back to Texas just to find me.

Kachina Raye Skybird~~You can see in this photo his little stubby toes and one that is almost complete.

Kachina Raye can grasp & climb just fine with his toes.

Here Kachina Raye is showing me how well he can hold a piece of wood to chew on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!