Bad Guy Justin Clark - Dozens of illegal pythons seized from (Mission) BC Home - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Canadian Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Canadian Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the Canadian herp industry. YOUR FULL NAME is required for each message you post.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Corey Woods
Justin Clark - Dozens of illegal pythons seized from (Mission) BC Home

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/dozens-...home-1.1415239

Quote:
CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:48AM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:33AM EDT

Almost 50 illegal pythons have been seized and euthanized by conservation authorities after officers found around 100 snakes on a property in Mission, B.C.

Insp. Chris Doyle of the B.C. Conservation Officer Service said Friday that there were no permits for the snakes.

"No one at that residence had a permit to possess those snakes and those snakes did pose a risk to public safety," he said.

Doyle said the illegal snakes were reticulated pythons, which are known to be aggressive and dangerous to humans.

"For that reason they are a prohibited species in British Columbia," he said.

The illegal pythons have been removed and destroyed, but residents told CTV British Columbia they're still feeling uneasy following the discovery.

"It is a shock… if everything got out, my goodness, what would we do?" said one resident.

Another resident said the snakes could have easily escaped from the property, which is located steps away from a local school.

"If they're not attended to on a daily basis, I'm sure there are openings… they could find their way into the neighbourhood no problem," he said.

The B.C. seizure came on the same day authorities in southern Ontario seized 40 pythons from a motel near the city of Brantford. The Ontario pythons are now in the care of the Brant County SPCA.

Deadly attack

Last week, two New Brunswick brothers were killed by an African rock python that had managed to escape its enclosure. Preliminary autopsy reports show the brothers were asphyxiated.

The boys were sleeping over at a friend's house at the time of their death.

Meanwhile the house in Mission, B.C. where the snakes were found remains off-limits as authorities continue their investigation. The owner of the reptiles could face a fine of $100,000 or jail time if charges are laid.

With a report by CTV British Columbia's Scott Hurst

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/dozens-...#ixzz2cGVjLTdC
You can view the video from the link above.

Here is a screen shot;
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Mads
Great, just what the reptile industry needed, more bad press! I must say I am glad I am no longer directly involved and going to shows as a vendor anymore. Trying to win the general publics trust back after the last few media stories is not going to be easy. These events are making it much easier for tightening the reptile restrictions that are already in place in many places, and putting restrictions in place where there currently are none.

Mads Lund

Old 08-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
kim86
Jay Clark is d o n e.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
SquamishSerpents
Regardless of Justin Clark's standing in the reptile community, it doesn't change the fact that according to news broadcasts, 46 pythons needlessly lost their lives due to the carelessness, irresponsibility, and selfish actions of one individual.

There is an updated video here:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/dozens-...home-1.1415239

The BC Reptile Club has released their official statement on the Facebook page: BC Reptile Club on Facebook

Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
ComoxCorn
It's very sad that the snakes pay the price for the actions of the owner. Unfortunately, the volume of illegally kept snakes played a huge factor in the outcome. Had it been one or two retics, they would have gone to Dewdney Animal Hospital, the only C.A.S. approved rescue facility in BC and new C.A.S. approved homes would have been sought.
The rescue society we operate on Vancouver Island ( North Island Retile Rescue Society ) had much discussion over whether or not we should apply for a rescue permit at the time the Act was been put into place. We declined, as the were too many unanswered questions from the Ministry, i.e. will the co-operate in approving permits for re-homing, shipping out of province permits, euthanizing policy as well as who would cover the costs of a Ministry ordered destruction of an animal. We also had to address liability and assure public and membership safety.
The number of illegal reptiles seized ( approx. 50 ) would certainly put a huge strain, both financially and in terms of man hours on any reptile facility, and it is my understanding that the veterinarian permitted to house C.A.S. rescues had the final say in the destruction of these snakes. I know had he had the space and the manpower, he would have chosen a different option. I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of Jay Clark, as he knowingly defied the laws and put the animals at risk. I hope he is done like dinner.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Damzlfly
Quoted from TIMES & TRANSCRIPT (Moncton, New Brunswick) 23 August 13 Reason and myth in the 'dangerous exotic pets' debate (Norbert Cunningham)

But the breeder said euthanization was unnecessary and there's no proof the snakes are dangerous. It's a view echoed often since the tragedy by snake enthusiasts who somehow manage to ignore the reality of the New Brunswick tragedy. Some even question if something else caused the deaths. Anything to preserve the belief, not fact, that these creatures are 'safe.'
The B.C. breeder wants evidence? Let him visit Campbellton!

The breeder also suggested bans of exotic snakes will only drive the trade in them to a black market. Too late, it seems, considering the number of illegal snakes authorities have been seizing! The black market is already thriving and extensive, it seems. The breeder's case is extremely weak.

Jay...are you out of your mind?? Retics are banned in BC, you had 46 of them and you're trying to garner sympathy for your situation?? Thanks for completely undermining our efforts to rebuild whats left of our reputation.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
moreau
As per his recent post on Reptiles Canada he actually had a permit for some of the retics? But they got destroyed anyway, I wonder if the MOE will be held accountable for that. I didn't see anything in the news about him having a permit for any of them.

Could be quite an issue if it is true that he was never even asked if he had permits for any of them. He could still be prosecuted for the illegal ones, but that means they illegaly destroyed some permitted animals.

Quote:
Hello I would like to take the time and let you guys know the truth about what happen. The 56 reticulated pythons were killed on site when my landlord was illegally evicting me from my home. I was then notified that the spca was called and called the conservation Officers they had the house police taped off and they deemed the animals dangerous to the public.

Then once I got there as I rushed home from work to see what was going on. With no notice of what was happening I showed up to about 12 Conservation Officers. These conservation officers then said the animals were illegal. Even though they were not past the 3 meter law except one large female Tiger het anthrax. They called the reptile vet to come ID the animals. As I was sitting there they told me they were euthanizing them. They never asked if they had permits which a few had permits. One is a Calico Golden Child that NERD produced from the first breeding. All of the animals were locked up in cages and healthy. The decision fell on the vet and he said to euthanize them. The vet also left many needles in the cages, this is a safety risk to not only my self my other animals and other people could have been hurt and got sick from this. This is poor practice and there is no excuse for this!

There are 3 reasons a vet will euthanize a animal
1 They post a risk to the public
2 They are ill or dieing
3 Is political reasons.

Bottom line is the vet works for them. And in BC they kill and ask questions later. I feel the vet is a mercenary for the conservation officers killing animals without due care, as there was many other options, they could have been shipped out that night to a friend in Ontario with a large facility. The vet also gets paid for ever animal he kills so a big payout is heading his way for the slaughter of these snakes. If he really cared about the animals he would have said he cannot do this and there is a better way to handle this then destroying these rare animals.

These animals they killed posted no risk towards the public. They were all healthy animals. They killed Super dwarf and Dwarfs. They killed babies that were only a few months old, 35 to be exact and could easily be transported. All the snakes were tame and could be easily handled. The vet also left needles in water dishes and in enclosures.

I honestly thought Conservation officers were suppose to conserve life not destroy it and ask questions later.

This is wrong and inhumane to do. If someone was keeping bears or tigers animals that seriously can harm or kill someone. They would have took these animals to a sanctuary or a zoo. Not destroy them. Around 100K worth in animals were killed. The money means nothing to me. The years it took me to acquire this collection 10 to be exact all gone within a few hours. They also carried the animals out in garbage bags. And threw them in the back of a Conservation Officers truck.

As they killed animals they also mistaked 9 animals that were not retics Water Pythons to be exact. I am seeking advice from 2 lawyers at the moment and going over the next steps I will be making and who I will be going after first and I am meeting with Global news to uncover these people for the killers they are.

These animals were everything to me. Some were the only ones in Canada, these animals were all locked in secure heavy duty enclosures. If you guys feel it is right to euthanized all these animals, then this club has failed and is not following with what it states to believe in and work towards!

Creative Exotic Reptiles
Jay Clark
1-778-908-3957
www.Creative-Exotic-Reptiles.com
Producing the Highest Quality In Keeping
And Breeding Captive Reptiles.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Damzlfly
I highly doubt he did, otherwise he'd be plastering copies of them everywhere he's posted that nonsense.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
KORBIN5895
He is full of it.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Regius_ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
He is full of it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!