Time for the annual rate hikes... (Fedex) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
Mark and Aimee
Time for the annual rate hikes... (Fedex)

We got the friendly notice in the mail from Fedex today... Tis the season... To increase your shipping rates! Great...

Here's the web version:

http://fedex.com/us/update1.html/

FedEx rate changes, effective January 3, 2005

FedEx Express package and freight published rates will increase an average of 4.6% for U.S. domestic and export services.

We will reduce the overall fuel surcharge by 2%, resulting in a net average increase of 2.6% in express rates.

----------------

There is also a fair amount of new surcharges that will effect some of us.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:13 AM   #2
Milwaukee Reptiles
I got a letter last month stating UPS will be doing something similiar... I forget the actually numbers however

Old 11-30-2004, 05:43 AM   #3
MGReptiles
I am goin to start my own shipping company...It is really getting out of control...Be nice if they would set on rate...I know inflation is not going at that rapid of a rate.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
I got a letter last month stating UPS will be doing something similiar... I forget the actually numbers however
UPS sucks as bad as the rest of them (at times, of course).

http://ups.com/pressroom/us/press_re...0,4479,00.html

Quote:
ATLANTA, Oct. 28, 2004 – UPS (NYSE: UPS) today announced package shipping rate adjustments and a change in the fuel surcharge that will take effect on Jan. 3, 2005.
Rates for UPS Ground, UPS Next Day Air®, UPS 2nd Day Air®, UPS 3 Day SelectSM and U.S. international services will increase 2.9 percent. UPS Hundredweight Service®, an alternative to that offered by less-than-truckload carriers, will increase by 5.9 percent, producing rates still half those of most major LTL carriers. There will be no changes to most UPS retail rates offered at nearly 3,600 locations of The UPS StoreSM.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
jmkhet
This is great, so what your saying is when i buy a 10 dollar gecko, its gonna cost me60 dollars to get it?

Old 01-27-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
DragonCharm
I can see my KS ad now.....

Bearded dragon for sale....$90

Shipping.....Flatrate $2000 anywhere in the US.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
Mike Greathouse
Dimensional Rates

The main issue with Fed-Ex and UPS is not the minor rate increase, but their changes to their dimensional weight policies. They used to only apply dimesional weight charges to packages over 1 cubic foot. That is no longer the case. Now every lightweight package is billed as dimensional. I just received a bill from UPS for four shipments this month with an additional $85.00 tacked on for dimensional weight charges - how special.

What this means to the shipper and to the consumer is that a standard reptiles shipping box that used to ship Next Day Air for just under $40.00 is now going to cost just under $60.00.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
gcsreptiles
On average the rates have gone up about $10. I use 15x11x7 insulated boxes and it went from an average of $38 to $46-$48 for Next Day Air. But if I were to use a 12x9x6 box it would knock it back down to around the $38 range. In the last 3 years the rates have gone up about $20 per package for next day shippments.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #9
DragonCharm
I don't think they are applying dimenisonal charges if you use their boxes rather than your own. I use the Fedex "large" size box. I get my boxes free from them, just login to my account online and go to order supplies. They will ship the boxes out to you in a day or 2 totally free, no charge for the boxes or the freight to get them to you. You can order as many as you need.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
MGReptiles
Yup I have seen the same on my bills. I shipped about 10 boxes this week and all were about 45-52 dollars each.. Then I ship to Canada, about 20 times a week... What was costing about 15-20 is now about 17-30... Sucks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!