Snow Storm in Buffalo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
ZenReptiles
Snow Storm in Buffalo

I just recently got my power back one week after the big snow storm in Buffalo, NY. This may be a big "duh!", but I really should have boughten a generator, as I was not prepared at all for all my animals. The power went out for us early Thursday which was followed by the eery sounds of trees cracking and lightening hitting behind the giant snowflakes hitting the ground. I woke up to tree parts covering the entire area of which I lived and about 2 feet of snow.

My aunt 2 blocks away had power. But there was a driving ban. So I was forced to stuff my 4 newborn baby leos in my bra and my baby bearded dragon in the front pouch of my hoodie and walk through the devestation to my aunt's. My fiance had my blue tongue skink in his hoodie and we would have to go back for the rest of my 10 leos later that day. My leopard frog had already burrowed himself in his cage to stay warm and I wasn't so worried about him. But my iguana was another matter.

No one wanted to take him in. Even for a day or two.

I was forced to stay at home while my daughter stayed with my animals at my aunts. I had to use hot water bottles to keep my iggy warm.

After all was said and done, all of my animals survived and are back home, but it was scary. I'm buying a generator as soon as I can.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
techgirl
Glad to hear everyone pulled through that Kate. Too bad you had to go through that at all. Just hope it doesn't happen again before you get the generator.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
INSANE CANES
Glad to hear everything made it through ok.
Generators are an excellent thing to have, even if you only use them 1 time, like your snow storm. Oh yeah lots of gas is a must too.
I learned that last year with hurricane wilma, 14 days 6 hours 5 minutes and 18 seconds no power.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
liquidleaf
Hey Kate - I can't remember where I posted it, but I had to take my snakes with me on a roadtrip to Maine that was already scheduled for Friday (since our power was out and no way was I going to leave them in a cold house for 4 days). Heh. We wound up buying a generator on the way back. Power outages during cold weather DEFINITELY make you realize how fragile our pets can be.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!