Best way to house hatchlings? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
bandit42
Best way to house hatchlings?

What is the best way to house hatchlings? i hear you can keep them together as long as you seperate them by size. I wish i had a rack system but unfortunetly i dont. So i need some suggestions. Thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
reptirus
My biggest suggestion is invest in a rack system or buy one;-) If you are breeding your whole house will quickly be filled with tanks everywhere :-) BTW, i house every hatchling separate, alot easier to keep track of genetics, eating habbits, weights, and other things as well, as long as not having to worry about them getting bullied. Animal Plastics sells 6 qt racks which work very nicely for hatchlings, if your looking to build a rack, I might post pics of mine up later for you to check out and get the general idea on how to do it yourself ;-)

Old 06-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
bandit42
that would be great. thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
reptirus
pretty simple to do, i used 3/8 inch plyboard and 1x3s, screweed them in place. For my big rack in the pic i used 1/2 inch plyboard. Just make sure to make the shelves tight enough so the geckos cant get out.

there ya go bud, good luck, any other questions feel free to ask:-) Btw, I figured out prices before and think it only cost me like 350 to build both racks together. You would pay a couple grand to buy enough racks to hold all of that

Old 06-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
Stephies_Leos
I have always kept clutchmates together and they have been fine ..... I think it makes them better socially but obviously if there's a weight problem you would be better off separating them. It's really hard without a rack I did it last year and it was a pain ! I have a rack now and I am looking forward to putting new babies in it.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
acpart
It depends on how many babies you're anticipating. I have generally been keeping my hatchlings in front-opening 20L tanks divided into 3 10"x12" sections (separated by plexiglass). I keep clutchmates together but re-arrange them according to size and can house individually if indicated. I also have some of the larger faunariums and can keep 3 hatchlings in each one. This year I have three 20L divided into 3 sections and one smaller tank divided into 2 sections. I like being able to see everyone and having them able to see around them since the people I will be selling them to will most likely not have racks. Last year I produced 38 hatchlings and was able to keep them in the tanks since I was also selling steadily. This year I anticipate 55 hatchlings and did purchase a rack from someone for overflow.

Aliza

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!