front leg bloated, swollen and twitching - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
SuperGeckoberry
front leg bloated, swollen and twitching

I've had my gecko for about 5 years... during this time she has been healthy and happy. I was saddened because I discovered her last night with her left front leg bloated, swollen and twitching. She is not eating as much and is having a hard time walking. I'm going see a vet ASAP, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight as to what could be possibly be wrong with her... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
geckogrl6
Sounds like most likely MBD. Possibly neurological.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
CurtisF
Do you give her calcium supplements? MBD would be my first guess.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
SuperGeckoberry
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking MBD too... it's puzzling- I dust with calcium w/D3every other feeding, which equals about 1-2 times per week. I leave a dish of it in her tank at all times. The experation date on the calcium container says it should still be good. Is it possible that she's been getting too much d3?? The vet appointment is tomorrow- We'll see what they say.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:01 AM   #5
leopardgeckosunlimit
Pics would help if you can but all I can think of right now is possible injury??
I hope she is O.K. Let us know! She sounds like she's getting enough calcium. Let us know what the vet says?
jessica

Old 07-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
ByRandom
I have never heard of MBD causing a limb to twitch. With the leg being swollen, I would think one of two things would be the cause. Either an infection or inflammation due to injury. Of course, that is all speculation without seeing the gecko and/or pictures.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
geckogrl6
Yeah, the twitching is why I thought maybe it could be neuro in nature. And she mentioned in the first post that was having trouble walking as well, so with that and the swelling I thought MBD. It's also unfortunately common, so it's often my first thought. Perhaps the gecko is shaking the limb b/c it's bothering it, rather than actual twitching?

Old 07-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
SuperGeckoberry
Thanks to all for the input. Here's an update...

So I took her to the vet on Tuesday. My vet didn't think it was MBD either... she took x-rays and didn't notice any fractures or weakened bone density. Her guess was that it is a sprain. My enclosure doesn't have any abnormally high things to climb on. Maybe it was just one of those freak accidents where she landed wrong or got her foot caught on something.

Anyways we are giving her some kind of liquid asprin to hopefully ease the pain and make the swelling go down. We'll see if this works.

If I have time, I'll post pictures of my gecko's leg. My wife just gave birth yesterday to our first baby... so I'm just a tad bit busy. I'm driving back and forth from the hospital just to administer the liquid asprin to my other little "baby" (gecko). And now... back to the hospital!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
geckogrl6
Congrats on the baby! And I'm glad to hear that the gecko leg doesn't look too serious. Keep us updated, and I'm looking forward to pics of both babies.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!