Reducing egg loss due to rolling? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
geckogrl6
Question Reducing egg loss due to rolling?

Just lost two this way. I'm mad at myself for this, but what's the best way to reduce it? Bury the eggs deeper? Put a window in the incu? Out of what, plexi? I am using a homemade incu in a styrofoam cooler. How often should I be checking to ensure I can right the eggs in time to save them? Help!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
MKGeckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckogrl6
Just lost two this way. I'm mad at myself for this, but what's the best way to reduce it? Bury the eggs deeper? Put a window in the incu? Out of what, plexi? I am using a homemade incu in a styrofoam cooler. How often should I be checking to ensure I can right the eggs in time to save them? Help!
Are the eggs rolling on their own or are the hatchlings moving them? I draw a line in Sharpe on my eggs so I know which way is up. Whenever I have a hatchling from the tub, I make sure all the eggs are upright.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
MKGeckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckogrl6
Are the eggs rolling on their own or are the hatchlings moving them? I draw a line in Sharpe on my eggs so I know which way is up. Whenever I have a hatchling from the tub, I make sure all the eggs are upright.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Stephies_Leos
I draw a line on them also so I can tell if they have moved but I have never had a problem with them moving on me. But you might try making sure they are spaced apart well and bury them about half way up the shell.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKGeckos
Maybe she lives on a boat? Or it could be a ghost rolling the eggs.

I bury mine almost completely and haven't had any problems with them rolling or being disturbed by hatchlings. I used to bury them an inch or 2 into perlite, but I stopped doing that because it made it harder to check them weekly.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Rioko
i must take notes cuase i cant get my eggs to hatch at all. Chikita will lay fertalized eggs but they wont hatch. we have tried leaving them alone where she burys them and taking them out and putting them in an incu. My mom has tried more than i have and she has bad luck too.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
geckogrl6
Thanks for the prompt replies, guys + gals. Looks like I may be OK. I do mark them with Sharpies, and yes, the two were disturbed by hatchlings (no ghosts, ships, or earthquakes), one I found completely upside down after at least a couple hours. In any case, it looks like I got them in time b/c both hatched today. I was concerned b/c I know at least 2 were rolled for awhile while I was out getting crix. One left that was disturbed, but it may be infertile, we'll see. So far this has been a very lucky season for me!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
garweft
Another thing you can do is make sure to keep the eggs away from any of the edges in your incubation container. The hatchlings tend to dig at the edges more than the middle so keeping them away from the edges can help to reduce the chance of them being disturbed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!