Info Mike McGrath BAD BUYER - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
Mike tells Kevin he'll take her....definitely. This doesn't seem like a case of window shopping.
I've been told in the past week from 5 different people that they "definitely" want certain items I have for sale...Guess what? No money from any of those five people...Good thing I didn't hold my breath.

Quote:
This deal went down in a matter of a couple days, and while it may not have been Kevin's responsibility to tell him that she may be sold already, it could have helped to avoid this.
No argument there, but to put blame on the seller for "lack of communication and pro-active payment coordination" I do not agree with.

Quote:
In the future, it may help for Kevin to set a time frame for payment.
I agree. But that is Kevin's choice, nor ours.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
Ed Clark
It does not matter how many people say they are gonna by that Burm, as we all know a very small percentage of online buyers will actually follow throught and make that payment to buy the snake.

The seller is under no obligation to tell interested parties how many people are actually interested in buying that snake.

The first payment to hit your paypal acct is the person that has bought the snake, any other payments that show up should recieve an instant refund with a brief note explaining they were too late.

People do threaten to post on the BOI in an effort to get their way....or try to.

I can't see how anyone can fault Kevin here.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
MikeCurtin
I guess I just do things a little differently...the best way to put it is that I try to give seriously interested parties the first right of refusal. I can completely understand requiring funds to hold an animal, but I can also feel how Mike may have felt the animal was sold out from under him.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
KNOBTAIL
And how would the seller

know if the buyer changed his mind.. This is a daily occurrence. Money talks , and promises walks ! Unless payment is made within a given time period, there is no sale based on non payment ! This business has to many graveyards with false purchase offers. So, the terms should be simple and direct:

The sale is contingent upon immediate payment unless some prior arrangements have been made. The time factor has to be taken into consideration as an intergal part of the transactions, so that the seller does not get strung out waiting to see how long its going to take to get paid from one customer without loosing a potentially a serious paying customer .

Old 09-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
hhmoore
"If you want her, you'd better buy her quick - I have two other people trying to work out deals....."
That seems to be the type of comment some people are proposing - but, to my eyes, it comes across as a pressure sale...and is a stunt readily employed by less reputable types. I've gotten messages like that several times over the years, and my response has always been to simply delete them and look elsewhere.

It is not always easy to tell "serious inquiries" from the scores of window shoppers. The "definitely going to buy its" don't pan out significantly more often than the person that casually asks a couple questions. While I agree that the prospective buyer threw a temper tantrum, I don't know that I would label him as a bad buyer...but neither do I find the seller at fault. This thread seems to be more of a pre-emptive strike, based upon the buyer's mention of the BOI

Old 09-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
SmokyMtnReptiles
Thank You ALL for the replies...I would have NEVER made this post had he not threatened to bring it to the BOI I just wanted to post everything I had before things got out of hand..again Thanks

Old 09-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
"If you want her, you'd better buy her quick - I have two other people trying to work out deals....."
That seems to be the type of comment some people are proposing - but, to my eyes, it comes across as a pressure sale...and is a stunt readily employed by less reputable types. I've gotten messages like that several times over the years, and my response has always been to simply delete them and look elsewhere.
My thoughts as well. I wasn't sure how to word it, but your description makes sense.

Quote:
While I agree that the prospective buyer threw a temper tantrum, I don't know that I would label him as a bad buyer...but neither do I find the seller at fault. This thread seems to be more of a pre-emptive strike, based upon the buyer's mention of the BOI
Well, on the bright side...
The thread prefix doesn't say "Bad Guy" but "Info."

Old 09-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
The BoidSmith
Not so long we were in a similar situation with an individual that's considered a good guy in here. We agreed on the price and then we e-mailed him asking for shiping carrier and details. His next reply was "sorry it has been sold". This was very upsetting to say the least. Never did I reply to an ad from this person again. Money talks, yes but there's common courtesy also...

Best.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #19
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith View Post
Not so long we were in a similar situation with an individual that's considered a good guy in here. We agreed on the price and then we e-mailed him asking for shiping carrier and details. His next reply was "sorry it has been sold". This was very upsetting to say the least. Never did I reply to an ad from this person again. Money talks, yes but there's common courtesy also...

Best.
I honestly have somewhat mixed feelings about this...As a buyer, I have had an offer accepted, and payment terms agreed upon (50% deposit via credit card over the phone, balance in cash when I picked up the animal). The seller said to call him, but neglected to provide me with a contact number...I emailed him requesting it, but didn't get a response (the number wasn't included in the ad). My last email was sent at approx 830pm. I did some searching online during the night, got his number, and called him around 10am the following morning - to be told that he didn't hear back from me so he sold it the previous evening. Was I unhappy? You're darn right I was.

On the other hand, as a seller, I have been told countless times that a person would purchase an animal & that payment was forthcoming. I have declined sales based upon pending payments, and been left holding the bag.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #20
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I honestly have somewhat mixed feelings about this...As a buyer, I have had an offer accepted, and payment terms agreed upon (50% deposit via credit card over the phone, balance in cash when I picked up the animal). The seller said to call him, but neglected to provide me with a contact number...I emailed him requesting it, but didn't get a response (the number wasn't included in the ad). My last email was sent at approx 830pm. I did some searching online during the night, got his number, and called him around 10am the following morning - to be told that he didn't hear back from me so he sold it the previous evening. Was I unhappy? You're darn right I was.

On the other hand, as a seller, I have been told countless times that a person would purchase an animal & that payment was forthcoming. I have declined sales based upon pending payments, and been left holding the bag.
I know, I know...It happens. As a buyer, and particularly if I was the first one to contact a person I would like the courtesy of them telling me "if you PayPal within the next hour it's yours". Then again it's also happened on countless ocassions that it is just a strategy to put pressure on the sale as you mentioned before. Then it's your prerrogative as a buyer to cave under such pressure or decide to go elsewhere with your money. In the example I was bringing upon we had agreed upon a price and we were addressing shipping when I was told it was sold. Not that it's good or bad, fact is that he was never up with a bad guy thread, I'm just stating he was erased from my prospective "to do business with" list . So that's why I'm not quick to judge Mike, he is upset because he probably knew he was serious about the purchase.

Best

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!