Feeling Kind of Crappy - had to put down a baby leo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-30-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
beakgeek
Unhappy Feeling Kind of Crappy - had to put down a baby leo

OK, I know that this is part of breeding leopard geckos, but it does not make it easier for me. We had a youngster that hatched out and was VERY small. Its clutch mate fully developed in egg, but did not hatch. This gecko never really thrived and appeared to be blind in one eye. We were maintaining her by force feeding, but the quality of life did not seem good. The first one we had to put down was a petsmart rescue and the vet did it. This one I did via cooling in the fridge to make sure she was asleep, then a trasfer to the freezer. I know I did the right thing, but I feel horrible right now. I know I'll survive, but this was a difficult night.

Thank you for listening to me vent.

Regards,

Terry

Old 06-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
robin d.
terry i completely understand. no matter whether its thre first or the millionth it never gets easy and it hurts to have to do it but like you said you have to look at the animals quality of life..... sometimes with natural selection some slip through the infinite cracks and we must do what nature didnt. i am sorry

Old 06-30-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
beakgeek
Thank you Robin :-) I needed that.

Terry

Old 06-30-2004, 07:09 AM   #4
LCReptiles
Man, and I thought waking up with my back stiff made my night crappy. That really stinks, sorry you had to do it

Old 06-30-2004, 07:14 AM   #5
geckosurfer
You did the right thing. I'm sorry you had to do it, but it was the best. Thank you for your courage in doing it.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
progeckos
Sorry for your loss Terry. It takes a caring person to put down one of their animals in a time of suffering. You did the right thing even though it’s painful.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:58 PM   #7
Golden Gate Geckos
Oh no....

Terry, I am very sorry to hear this, and I know how you must have struggled with the decision... but it was the only decision you could make. We always hope that they will get better and thrive if we just keep trying to help them a little longer. Please accept my heartfelt support.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:40 AM   #8
Xavier
sorry man

hey iam terrible sorry me and me bro in law had to do that with one of his dune geckos so i know how you feel. but make sure you keep the gecko long enough cause it has been know that some reptiles after getting frozen woke up like there this one guy who did that with his camelion and he left it in the fridge for 2 weeks and it woke up when he took it out

Old 07-03-2004, 03:02 PM   #9
Crestedleo
that stinks....

It is it hard to do.... it takes lots of courage. I'm sorry for you loss, Grant.

Old 07-03-2004, 09:54 PM   #10
thegeckobarn_DW
Terry,

I know how you feel - I had to do something similar this morning - the difference being it had to do with a mammal, and it was MUCH gorier.. I gotta tell what happened, but if you don't think you can handle bad things happening to kittens, I wouldn't keep reading...

We have about a million or so stray cats in our neighborhood.. Mom was mowing our lawn this morning, and she was mowing right along the bush - one of those honeysuckle bushes that grow on the fences - when all of a sudden blood flew. She'd unwittingly found a litter of kittens - not even 24 hours old - and cut open one of them. My daughter & I were inside and didn't see it happen - the bush is hidden by our cars - so when Mom came in sobbing, freaking out, and holding her arms real tightly, I thought she'd been hurt.. but she freaking out because the poor kitten's stomach was slashed open and, well, you can imagine the rest.

My sister gathered up the 3 kittens who were unharmed. I was the only one who could stand to pick up the one who'd been hurt. It was very bloody and really I don't want to describe it - but the poor thing was still alive!!!!

So my sister and I rushed them to the first vet's clinic who was open.. I'm pretty sure they put the kitten down. I didn't want to know, though - as much as I could stand to pick it up, I just could NOT bring myself to killing it - mercy killing or not. The vet found someone who'd take in the other 3 and nurse them and all.

I didn't leave the 3 because I didn't know if the mom would be back.. But, while we were gone, Mom said she went back and saw a cat standing next the spot, nosing around, calling for the kittens... Mom just started crying again.

UGH I HATE when stuff like this happens!!!!! But at least your baby wasn't in pain like this kitten. My fiancee started lecturing me that I should have ended its life right then and there - but I seriously could not do that. I could take it to the vet and let them do it... but I can't..

I'll tell you what - it takes a STRONG soul to put anything out of its misery yourself. I hope I didn't ruin anyone's day too badly??? Sorry - I just really needed to share!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!