Big question about snakes!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
wolfsoul101
Talking Thanks ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkwa View Post
I would like to congratulate you on building your own enclosures, it being your first snake. I enjoy building my own too. I like to keep mine in settings that have hides, limbs & silk plants to depict a small piece of nature. I use cypress mulch for substrate, it's great for holding humidity & even if you get a snake that doesn't need humidity, they like to burrow under it. The idea of using plexiglass for a partition sounds like it would work really well. I keep some of my snakes in aquariums & have never had problems with any stressed since I provide a hide on the hot side & one on the cool side.

I don't have experience with moving snakes on a regular basis, so I can't help you there. If you have to go that route, maybe if you set up both enclosures as close to the same as possible your snake won't feel like he was moved, just taken out for exercise. Don't know if that would help in that situation, but it is a thought. Every snake is an individual with different personalities even within the same species, but I don't know off hand which would accept that kind of life the best. Good luck with your endeavor & keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the nice reply and the good ideas. Yeah building my own seemed the best because most tanks that i can find would probably be too small and are really expensive :P And, i will try to make them as similar as humanly possable with the space i have (one closet is significantly bigger than the other XC) so far the votes have gone towards ball python and corn snake aand some teachers who have had snakes have said boas but they are a bit big... And i will make sure to keep posted.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
AK907
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsoul101 View Post
Thanks for the nice reply and the good ideas. Yeah building my own seemed the best because most tanks that i can find would probably be too small and are really expensive :P And, i will try to make them as similar as humanly possable with the space i have (one closet is significantly bigger than the other XC) so far the votes have gone towards ball python and corn snake aand some teachers who have had snakes have said boas but they are a bit big... And i will make sure to keep posted.
Yeah, avoid boas unless its a smaller one like a kenyan sand boa or calabar burrowing boa. Regardless of what you choose, I'd suggest that you avoid buying a snake or feeders from a chain pet store, like PetCo or Pet(notso)Smart. They will just rip you off! There are lots of great breeders on here and you will get a lot more for your money.

If you need help building or need some ideas I build all my own and can give you some simple, easy to build designs.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
wolfsoul101
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK907 View Post
Yeah, avoid boas unless its a smaller one like a kenyan sand boa or calabar burrowing boa. Regardless of what you choose, I'd suggest that you avoid buying a snake or feeders from a chain pet store, like PetCo or Pet(notso)Smart. They will just rip you off! There are lots of great breeders on here and you will get a lot more for your money.

If you need help building or need some ideas I build all my own and can give you some simple, easy to build designs.
I actually created some pretty cool yet simple designs and my parents agreed, they actually thought i didnt make them XD the best part is all you need is wood one sheet of plexiglass,two doorhinges a lock and some metal screening.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
kellylake0001
i agree with AK907, AVOID big chain stores and but form a breeder (and u can find cool looking snakes) there are so many good snakes in the world and lots of nice ppl who would be happy to help you set up a tank and answer questions regarding herp husbandry. i can say without a shadow of a doubt ball pythons are some of the best pets i have ever owned.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
wolfsoul101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylake0001 View Post
i agree with AK907, AVOID big chain stores and but form a breeder (and u can find cool looking snakes) there are so many good snakes in the world and lots of nice ppl who would be happy to help you set up a tank and answer questions regarding herp husbandry. i can say without a shadow of a doubt ball pythons are some of the best pets i have ever owned.
Thanks ^^ , yeah im not gonna get a snake from a pet store there are plenty of expos around NC aaand lots of good online breeders so far the ball python is the way to go with cornsnake not far behind

Old 05-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
wolfsoul101
Well so you all who wanted to hear my progress i went to charlotte repticon and scoped out prices and snakes and i just got home from the raleigh show with a baby ball python!
he is a normal but with beautiful white on his sides and nice clear markings, i got complimented on him by a breeder so i guess i chose a good one! Ill post pictures as soon as i get them (btw he is a baby male)

Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #17
Firebill
Hi Mattison,

Sounds like you are making a very good effort for your reptile. I live in Garner and if you ever need any help or have questions please feel free to ask. I had a table at the Raleigh show as well and you very well could have come by, i just raise boas, but i have had some ball pythons in the past and i know a few local respected ball python keepers as well. Good luck with your snake.

Bill

Bill

Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
wolfsoul101
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebill View Post
Hi Mattison,

Sounds like you are making a very good effort for your reptile. I live in Garner and if you ever need any help or have questions please feel free to ask. I had a table at the Raleigh show as well and you very well could have come by, i just raise boas, but i have had some ball pythons in the past and i know a few local respected ball python keepers as well. Good luck with your snake.

Bill

Bill
Thanks and ill keep you in mind if i have any questions. You might have actually seen me i was walking around on sunday wearing a tail! (pretty hard to miss XD)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
enclosures, snake, stress, tanks, wood