First litter 30 days away. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
ElexisC
First litter 30 days away.

So my female boa is pretty much exactly 30 days from her due date. I've been extremely paranoid about her slugging out but the way she looks it has to be a nice big healthy litter cooking in there. This is my first ever snake breeding. I paired them in october, she didn't ovulate till April so this has been a lot of enjoyment, stress, and paranoia on my part lol

Before anyone says anything she pooped and I had to clean her cage, she's not regularly moved or picked up, only for cleaning and I'm as gentle as possible.

Pairing was hypo jungle het kahl x normal supposed het kahl.

As this day comes closer and closer any tips for setting up babies would be much appreciated, yes I did research but tips from other breeders is always welcomed. And any tips on shipping since I will not just be selling them local, honestly don't want to sell to many local as most people around here are well, not what I'd call responsible people and always want things for free.

So excited for some baby goo around July 21st!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
Snakesitter
Fingers crossed for you (and her)!!!

Old 06-21-2016, 12:43 AM   #3
ElexisC
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Old 06-21-2016, 01:17 AM   #4
AbsoluteApril
There's nothing like a litter of baby boas! All those cute little faces poking up from the stinky goo.

What I do is: once the litter is born, I remove momma and put her in a tub with a sheet and a water bowl. I leave the babies alone and mist the cage. I do this until they have all emerged their sacks (usually the act of giving birth breaks the sacks but not always) and wait until they have moved off from the birth site. Sometimes they leave right away, if they were a bit premature, they may stay in the birth site for 24-48hrs but usually within 12 hrs they have all moved off. Then I take the babies out, put them all together in a big tub with shallow water bowl and layers of paper (pic below). I do mist the tub once or twice a day to keep humidity up. Clean the heck out of the cage and put mom back.

I leave the babies all together until they shed. Once they have shed, I move each baby into it's own shoebox size tub (with water bowl and a hide. I usually use a toilet paper tube). Then a day or two later, offer their first meal. I always try f/t first but I'm big on the f/t over live anyways.

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
ElexisC
I prefer f/t myself. And thanks for the advice! What about the sphagnum moss? I've heard people say to use that as bedding (moist) because of the umbilicals.

I hope there isn't any premature or slugs but a majority healthy litter is all I will ask for. I just want momma and babies to be ok! I don't have a tub big enough for mom to be in for a day or 2, so I'll either have to get one or just move the babies a little sooner. Can't wait to see those tiny faces! This month is going to kill me haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Old 06-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
As long as the babies are not premature and you wait for them to move off the birth site on their own, you shouldn't have to worry about umbilicals, they will dry up and fall off quickly. You would only need to take extra precaution if they were born early and still absorbing yolk.

Try to get a big tub or another cage for mom to rest in so you don't have to disturb the babies too early.

Also don't be surprised if she goes longer than expected, just to make the waiting harder. haha Don't feed mom the last 2-3 weeks before she is due, sometimes trying to pass waste will cause her to go early and you don't want that.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
ElexisC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
As long as the babies are not premature and you wait for them to move off the birth site on their own, you shouldn't have to worry about umbilicals, they will dry up and fall off quickly. You would only need to take extra precaution if they were born early and still absorbing yolk.

Try to get a big tub or another cage for mom to rest in so you don't have to disturb the babies too early.

Also don't be surprised if she goes longer than expected, just to make the waiting harder. haha Don't feed mom the last 2-3 weeks before she is due, sometimes trying to pass waste will cause her to go early and you don't want that.
Oh yea that much I knew, I wasn't planning on feeding her the last 2 weeks. She's only been eating a small rat once a month (her choice on the time) since ovulation anyways. She's only pooped twice since then as well. She looks so much bigger than those pictures show. It really is amazing. I'll have to see if I can find a Christmas tree tub or something in the mean time.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:45 AM   #8
ElexisC
She had the babies! Got a new phone but will post the pictures soon. 25 live 2 study and 3 slugs. One of the albinos was born kinked, with yoke, and was just deteriorating by the day. They were born Monday, the 25th. She did prove and i got 2 junglows, both female.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:14 AM   #9
AbsoluteApril
Congrats on the babies!

Old 07-30-2016, 04:58 AM   #10
ElexisC

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!