Todd Seadorf of Palm Beach Exotics..... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-03-2003, 10:22 PM   #11
DavidBeard
Neil....the URI is without a doubt Todd's fault. He improperly packaged the box, so if the heat pack had been working, the snake would have been fine.

Also, Todd did not offer to pay for the vet bills.....he finally relented after I asked him several times and posted this thread. I think he just wanted to save face here. He only even responded to my e-mails after I told him I was going to start this thread.....too convenient if you ask me. He also did not tell me about the wound.....I have nothing to hide, but it sounds like he does. The animals I sent him arrived in perfect condition and were 100% accurately represented. Why should I not expect the same in return?

Old 12-03-2003, 10:54 PM   #12
Neil Gubitz
I "sit" corrected!

Neil

Old 12-04-2003, 08:50 AM   #13
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidBeard
Not a big problem, had the snake been packaged properly. Todd put the SMALL heat pack on the bottom of the box, where it could get no oxygen or release any heat AT ALL. The snake was WITHOUT HEAT for the whole time it was in transit from Palm Beach, FL to Louisville. Well, when my friend opened the package, she called me at work and explained there was a few problems......

David,

Not to try and justify him sending the animal with the injury but packing with a heat pack on the bottom does not mean it was not packaged properly. I package with heat packs on the bottom and sometimes on the top. There is enough oxygen to allow the heat pack to get warm when it is on the bottom. Also heat rises. I have found that shipping with the heat pack on the bottom(when they are working) tends to more evenly heat the box. Now I would say there is a possibility that the heat pack might have failed (which I have had a few fail myself) and that would not have been due to his packaging, But even if the heat pack had failed it is his responsibility to remedy the problem. Also you said the heat pack was small. Well the heat pack in the picture looks exactly like the normal 40+ hour heat packs that are sold and used all the time so there is nothing wrong with it's size. The ones that some people use for shipping that are the hand warmers are about half that size and only last about 4 hours.

Old 12-04-2003, 09:41 AM   #14
Neil Gubitz
I knew I forgot something yesterday.... Rob is absolutely correct.... heat rises, and putting the heatpack on the bottom is usually where you SHOULD put it.... Were there airholes in the box??.... That could be the reason the box LOST all the heat.... Usually (in WINTER) you should use NO airholes in the box AT ALL and you should seal EVERY OPEN EDGE of the box, so the heat stays IN the box.... if you ship next day air, there is plenty of air in there for the trip.... I have NEVER had a problem doing it like that.... just something to consider....

Neil

Old 12-04-2003, 10:55 AM   #15
ldydrgn
There were NO airholes in the box and the heat pack was cold! After puling it out and setting it on the table it began to warm up. How can heat rise when there is no heat?

Old 12-04-2003, 11:25 AM   #16
Neil Gubitz
Well.... before putting the heatpack in the box, you MUST shake it up and mix the chemicals together, or it might NOT work.... or, it could have just been a "dud" heatpack, which does happen from time to time....

Neil

Old 12-04-2003, 12:03 PM   #17
Wilomn
I have only shipped to cold states a couple of times but, I have always waited until I felt the heat from the pack before I put it in the box. I would think that a minute or two would not be too long to make sure it was working before taping the box up.

Between the old wound and the heat not working I would be very displeased myself.

I hope it all works out well.

Wes Pollock

Old 12-04-2003, 12:11 PM   #18
Neil Gubitz
WOW!!.... It MUST be snowing "down there".... I actually AGREE with you, Wes.... ain't that a kick??.... lol

Neil

Old 12-04-2003, 12:14 PM   #19
ldydrgn
I have a screen shot of the tracking posted below. You can see she had to go through OH to get to us in KY. She was in OH all night. According to Airborne she was dropped off at 10:40am. David called at about 11am and Donnie brought her in the house immediately following the call. So she was on our doorstop no more than 25 minutes.

David, please confirm the time you called and when I called you back if you can.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2003, 12:41 PM   #20
Kevin3
I had a Doctor's appointment that I finished up with at about 11:15 am that day and called Michelle to see if I could stop by (I was two miles away) and got to their place by 11:30am. The Borneo was still cool and I saw the wound and the box. The heat pack was still cold and Donnie was showing me how to activate it and after a few minutes it actually increased its temperature. So I am posting this as an eyewitness to the fact that the heat pack was cold.

Kevin Scott

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!