UNDERWEIGHT bearded dragon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
TheTurtleTracker
Exclamation UNDERWEIGHT bearded dragon

Info

What: female inland bearded dragon
Length: 10 inches
Cage Mate: sibling male (no fighting occurs)
Problem: underweight

Her bones at the base of her tail are protruding, her neck fat is not as full, tail is too skinny, and overall body composition is poor. I have started her eating 1 pinky mouse a week and force feeding ReptiAid (for malnourished reptiles) twice weekly.

Question: EXACTLY what more can I do to bulk her up ASAP?

Old 01-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Riyo
I'm not into beardies but I would definitely separate them for now. There could be some bullying that you don't notice and also the male could be trying to mate with her. I doubt you want your female gravid and underweight.

Hopefully somebody with experience can chime in for you. It may also help to post your set up/temperatures/etc.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
angie.h
Hi William...is that length snout to vent?Have you had her all this time or someone give her+ her bro. to you? Is he the same size? I can't imagine her eating a pinkie at 10" total.Does she have ANY appetite? If she is 8 years old,sick for a long time,way undersize she sadly may be trying to die.Does she chew the pinkie? If she keeps it down,try giving her one a day until she's fattened.You can soak her [ don't leave unattended] in warm water to see if she'll drink.You really should take her to a herp vet if you have one...I wouldn't be TOO aggressive in treatment at that age+condition...it may just prolong the suffering.Is the sibling healthy? Are you sure that you have a proper set-up? To see a good care sheet go to Rainbow bearded dragons or Rockinar dragons.Very important to have a proper set-up.I wish the best for you and the poor creature.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
TheTurtleTracker
Post Reply to both previous posts:

Both Grendel (male) and Tirza (underweight female) were given to me in 2004. At the time the were believed to be male and female. The pet store told me soon after I received them that they were actually both female. Therefore, I purchased a very large (very aggressive) male bearded dragon. He injured my two other beardies very badly ($1200 vet bill). At the vet I learned that Grendel actually really was a male (which was what I was originally told) I've always wondered if buying the third bearded dragon resulted in nothing but damage
The large aggressive male bearded dragon is out of the picture as he died two years after the vet visit due to old age (age 13).

Now it is the two of them. I have had them seperated for months and just put them back together again the day before writing this post. I left Tirza in the main enclosure (to ensure she established it as her own territory). Apon reintroducing Grendel back into the main enclosure I could tell my plan had worked. Tirza was asserting herself as the cage master with fast aggressive head bobs while Grendel submitted with slow bowing and making left arm circles.
As far as I can tell she still rules the enclosure but she is always sleepy.
She lost half of her left front arm, four of her five toes on her right front arm, and the end of her tail. Don't pity her; she gets around fine, aside from the difficulties of climbing up to bask on logs and such. (maybe this is why she spends so much time on the cage floor?
Grendel got off easy, having only lost four of the five toes on hus front left foot and the tip of his tail. He is still an agile climber, unlike Tirza.
Is that enough info...?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
TheTurtleTracker
Dieing? It would break my heart if that were the case.
As for Tirza's size, I think you are right. She is probably larger than I thought (being a full grown adult). I will measure her and post that as soon as I get home.
As for Tirza's appetite:
She certainly relishes the pinkies (which are, of course, not alive) and keeps them down easily. She delights in chasing down crickets and mealworms in fa frenzy. She gobbles in berries of all kinds (rasberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc.). She will eat a romane heart salad with diced squash, zuccini, and cucumber any day. She will literally dive into apple suace and slurp it all up (although she hasnt had it in a long while because she made a HUGE mess in her cage the last time). In the summer she gets tropical hibiscus blooms and leaves a couple times a week. She has a strong liking for shredded carrots as well.
On occassion I will use Jurassidiet Bearded Dragon Food (never any of those cheap unhealthy brands). I cannot say none of this is my fault; I have so many animals that for a day or two they may not get fed (but the Smithsonian zoo only feeds their beardies lettuce and crickets only twice a week, so I think its not bad for them).
In short, she does eat and she eats well.

I am also concerned about how much time she spends on the cage floor in the sand. Being arboreal, she should be up on a log basking more often than she sits in the sand flattened out and basking. Again, it is probably because of the difficulty she has with climbing.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
TheTurtleTracker
Post Habitat INFO

40 gallon breeder tank
One 100 watt basking spotlight
One 75 watt night glo heat light
One desert spectrum UVB bulb (specific to this enclosure's size)
Large cave to retreat to for hiding or cooling off
One log basking site
One large cork bark basking site (that doubles as a second hide)
Natural tan reptile desert sand

Old 01-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
angie.h
Well,that is a big help...the reason I mentioned no aggressive freatment is that many well-meaning owners put animals who are dying through unnecessary stress and prolong the suffering when the animal just wants to go to sleep.Sooooo....the whole picture is different since she evidently loves to eat.That's a HUGE plus.Give her dark leafy...FORGET all the berries as a staple...use MUSTARD+ TURNIP...these are the BEST greens out there...far more nutritious than romaine.Feed her live insects2-3 times a day...she NEEDS to gain weight...don't go by what is normal for an already normal-sized beardie.Get her checked for worms...this can cause weight loss Make sure UVB reaches her in the cage...the screen actually blocks some.She should be within 6-7".And FORGET applesauce...as you mentioned by the mess she made,it is a bowl irritant.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
TheTurtleTracker
Thank you SOOOOO much I will start on fixing these things as soon as I get home.
I will also post her exact length (what it would be if all of her tail was still present) too.
That way you can tell me what her ideal weight would be.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
TheTurtleTracker
Question

I will purchase a scale that measures weight in grams and chart her weight. Should I weigh her weekly when I do this? And where can I get get a good scale for a decent price?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
TheTurtleTracker
Question

Any ideas as to why an arboreal lizard has taken to the ground? she rarely ever climbs and she frequently retires to a spot behind the cave under the corkbark. I don't think she should be behaving like this.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!