ever heard of cruise control? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
sirenofthestorm
ever heard of cruise control?

This is something I want to scream often at people since I do a lot of highway driving, mostly between Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids MI now. But I have driven to and from Texas (and around Texas while I was there) , to Chicago, Kentucky, and from Phoenix to Nogales, Mexico. Granted, I'm no truck driver, but I've also driven far outside of my region. I do a LOT of highway driving, and bad highway drivers irk me to no end.

There's this thing called cruise control... and I understand on some older models its not available, but jeez people, you pick a speed you're comfortable at, press a button, and relax. I just do NOT understand anyone who doesn't use cruise control on long trips, or on a highway that has light traffic.

I also HATE people who play highway tag. D*mn aggressive drivers. If I set my cruise control at 70 or 75, there is always one middle aged male in a minivan close to a midlife crisis that just can't let a GIRL pass him, so he speeds up til he passes me, then slows down to the speed he was going before I passed him, so I pass him again, then he speeds up and passes me again, and so on and so on. Not that women don't do this too, but its mostly men that do it to me.

Oh and turn signals... are those things that should be flipped ON when you want to change lanes and OFF when you're done. GRRRRR. I'm just thankful I'm not required in Grand Rapids again any time soon.

-Whit

Old 09-11-2004, 08:54 PM   #2
jenn_jeffery
Re: ever heard of cruise control?

Quote:
Originally posted by sirenofthestorm
I just do NOT understand anyone who doesn't use cruise control on long trips, or on a highway that has light traffic.
I don't on long trips quite often, for the simple reason, my mind then wanders from driving to other stuff, which is never a good idea. I've driven from GA to IN, GA to OK, GA to NC (lots and lots back and forth) NC to OK and back. I do 95% of the driving on these trips as I can't ride for over 1.5 hours w/o being carsick. Cruise makes me fall asleep, though I do maintain a constant speed. I understand your frustrations as well, and often gripe about it myself, just giving you a reason some people may not use it.

My main gripe is that people who live in the midwest esp. don't know how to accelerate UP hills!!! They seem to think that maintaining the same pressure on the gas pedel will get them up the hill as quickly as they were going down the previous hill, or on the nice flat land!!

Old 09-11-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
sirenofthestorm
Now I can understand not using cruise control if it puts you to sleep, by all means don't use it then!!!!!!! And if you have to pull over often due to motion sickness, all the more reason not to use it. But I have driven for HOURS with the same cars around me, playing highway tag, who obviously are just being aggressive drivers, and couldn't find the cruise control button if it was in the center of the steering wheel. Those are the types of people I hate driving around.

And yes, I have been guilty of slowing down on hills before, but usually if I'm going up or down anything, I have enough sense to try and keep the speed steady.

-Whit

Old 09-12-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
Melle
Oh man, then DO NOT come anywhere NEAR lansing, MI. Thats where i am living right now, and...grrrr....i dont even wanna talk about how STUPID people drive around here. I grew up in the detroit area, where people drive pretty dang fast and where i learned to drive even. Now coming around the lansing area, everyone drives ten under all the time, waits 10 seconds before accelerating when the light turns green, everyone likes to leave their signals on for miles, make complete stops when taking right turns, taking dang near forever to complete a left turn...i swear the road runs in slow motion over here. and, you cant pass the people goin ten under in front of you, because the person beside you is pacing at ten under. and im not eggagerating one tiny bit. Stay away from lansing, dude. lol

Old 09-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #5
Xelda
Haha, oops. I'm one of those people who go really slow driving uphill, but it's not my fault, I swear. I drive a small Mazda Protege, and it just doesn't have enough horse power to speed up hills.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:42 PM   #6
sirenofthestorm
Quote:
Originally posted by Melle
and im not eggagerating one tiny bit. Stay away from lansing, dude. lol
Then you know that I haveta go thru lansing if I go on 96 (which I do more often than not because the chances that there's less construction on 94 and 131 at the same time is zip). I get my butt over in the far left lane the entire time and get thru the I 69/496 corridor asap. Plus, I have lots of friends at MSU, which I can forgive them for, because hey, not everyone (myself included) is good enough for U of M. So I do some light driving thru east lansing, and yes, NO ONE can drive in there. I swear they should just have buses running 24 hours a day every 10 minutes and let the out of towners drive cars.

But it could also be College Campus in a Capitol syndrome, which I also experienced in Austin. Legislators and students just looooove to irk each other on the road.

-Whit

Old 09-12-2004, 10:43 PM   #7
Melle
Quote:
Originally posted by sirenofthestorm
. I swear they should just have buses running 24 hours a day every 10 minutes and let the out of towners drive cars.

Thats the best idea i've heard in a long time! heh heh So im glad im not the only one who thinks that way about the lansing drivers..some friends i've made while living up here who grew up in lansing say that im "just a crazy driver." But i KNOW its not me im takin a year off from MSU though, changing majors and all that crap. so i got myself stuck here

Old 09-12-2004, 10:53 PM   #8
Ken Harbart
And y'all wonder why I was so glad to move away from MI.

Florida drivers get a bad rap, but it's mostly undeserved. The traffic problems we have down here are generally caused by snowbirds.

Old 09-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #9
bcfos
Just visit Atlanta at 4 pm on a Friday afternoon. The 285 is a big parking lot from 4 untill around 7. Worse traffic I have ever been in was right outside of Dallas. I mean 10 mph on an interstate?? Come on just because some moron flipped his car you don't have to slow down and stare at it because that makes you a moron also.

As for cruise control. I don't use it that much. If I set it at 95 and get a chirp on my K40 then I have to either hit the brakes or switch it off. I would rather just hit the brakes and slow down untill the threat has passed.

Old 09-13-2004, 05:21 PM   #10
jenn_jeffery
Quote:
Originally posted by bcfos
Just visit Atlanta at 4 pm on a Friday afternoon. The 285 is a big parking lot from 4 untill around 7.
One thing you learn from living in Atlanta is that 285 (the loop around the city) is SLOWER than going straight through town. When I lived downtown for a few years, if we needed to go out of town for any reason, we had to leave by 3:30 at the latest, or it would take as long just sitting in traffic as it did to wait for a few hours.