Indigo umbilical scar - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Stanley M. Ordonez
Indigo umbilical scar

Hope I am doing this right. I recently purchased an eastern indigo snake 28 in. hatched around 8/14. It has some split sales on the ventral/belly. 3 inches anterior to the cloaca: 7 pairs of split scales. The seller said they will shed out within a year. Does this sound right? I am new to indigos. I know I could learn from this and may be helpful to others. The indigo is healthy, strong and an all around nice snake. Thank you, Stan

Old 03-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
Moving this to a discussion forum and out of the classifieds.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
bmwdirtracer
Hi Stan.

The scales will not "shed out". General opinion is that they are a result of inbreeding. Usually, it seems, this inbreeding happens as breeders try to amplify "red-throat" characteristics. My personal recommendation would be that you find a completely unrelated snake, from a different breeder, and preferably of the opposite color phase, to breed your snake with.

Other than that caution, I would not expect the condition to be harmful in any way.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Stanley M. Ordonez
Indigo Scar- Where's the beef???

I am finding that the famous indigo scar is a mystery to some breeders. One they have not seen one or it is better not know the difference. An umbilical scar only involves one or two scales . If it involves more scales then it is not an umbilical scar. It is an genetic defect ; probably due to inbreeding. If you have a pic of an umbilical scar please post it . There are indigos that do not have any scars. And good breeders that are breeding good animals. I am afraid that the mighty dollar is driving this problem. If it has scales that are split beyond the two. Then that inbreed indigo should be disclosed as having this genetic problem and sold accordingly. It should not be sold as a flawless indigo and should be sold at 30-50 % less than the current market value. These split scales do not heal . Thanks, Stan

Old 03-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
bmwdirtracer
Please don't take any offense at my reply, my friend; none is meant, but I am a lover of these snakes, and must share my response to your post:

I'd wonder about the term "umbilical scar" anyway, Stan. An umbilical cord is very much a mammalian feature - there is no "umbilical" anything on any reptile. I'd wonder how you've come to the conclusion that split scutes on any Indigo differ from split scutes on another Indigo, just by their number or location.

Certainly, "the FAMOUS Indigo scar" is not famous, or we'd all know about it. Considering your new involvement with the species, I think that declaring two split scales to be okay, and more to be a 50% monetary flaw, is a bit presumptuous. Maybe you're looking for a refund from the guy who sold you a snake with 7 split scales?

I have communicated quite extensively with some of the best known breeders of these special snakes, including those who are magnificently careful about preventing even the tiniest degree of shared genes between parents. Unfortunately, we have laws which prevent new genetics from being introduced to the captive populations....maybe you'll add your voice to convincing USFWS that this is counterproductive.

Meanwhile, though, with all the research and communications I've followed through, I have never heard of a "famous umbilical scar" which is okay if it's 2 scales, or any indication that an indigo with, say, five split scales is worth 50% less than one with 2 split scales.

Oh, over 35 years ago, I had a wild-born couperi with some split scutes.

Are you a member of Orianne Society?

We're all very concerned about couperi's long-term health....let's all try to keep track of the parentage and lineage of our snakes, for this goal.

Genetic weaknesses can be fixed in a single generation. Breed a South Florida snake with a South Georgia snake, and there will likely be no split scutes in any baby....at least, not if those split scales were indeed caused by shared genes!

I'm very glad that you've opened this discussion, and I hope that others will express their experience and thoughts. Maybe we'll both learn something valuable! There are some amazing biologists on this forum....maybe Vanessa will give her input!

Or how about you, Bob ? Tim? Aussie?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Stanley M. Ordonez
Split scales- Indigo

Chris, I agree that there needs to be more discussion on the problems of inbreeding and split scales. The situation is that the breeding of indigos are very inbred. You hear of the lower fertility rates. Clutches that do not produce indigos. And the extreme is stunted growth and enlarged heads. Could you post pics of your indigos with split scales? I returned my red throat indigo. The main reason I returned it was because the seller/breeder sold it as flawless indigo. He said that I would not be able to find better. I believed him and did not questioned him . He is a large breeder with a website and videos. I walked in blind trusting him. When I received the indigo I noticed the split scales which were 6-7. This might be a low number for split scales and might even be a great indigo in todays market. But that did not fit the definition of flawless. Needles to say he was not happy and neither was I. But enough of this. There needs to be better records and care in breeding these wonderful indigos. I have since purchased a Texas Indigo and he is in great shape and what I would expect from one in the wild. I have not given hope as I hope to post a "flawless'' red throat indigo before summer. She is on hold till my permit is granted. I have been unable to find good red throat indigos in California and would like to find a small time breeder with high standards. Sorry for the long post. Please post pics and lets hear your thoughts . Thank you, Stan Ordonez

Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
bmwdirtracer
Interestingly, my split-scale red-throats have a very different lineage for each of their parents; I have breeders names and litter numbers going back three generations. In my male's lineage, there is one common ancestor, who was a grandfather to one side of the family, and a great grandfather on the other side, in a different year. Other than that, lineage was from quite a few different breeders.

My boy and girl red-throats do not share any common ancestor at all. If the girl has any inbreeding responsible for her few split scutes, there is absolutely no record of it in her family tree. And I do absolutely believe the breeder's strictly documented account of their lineage.

My all-blacks are from entirely different lineages from each other, and from the red throats; none of the three all blacks have any split scales.

Let me also say this: I would not trade ANY of my snakes. If offered a "flawless" boy red-throat for my split-scaled boy, I WOULD NOT TRADE. His "personality" is magnificent, he's blatantly healthy, and I expect he'll father many young, "flawless" snakes. He'll be mating with several COMPLETELY unrelated girls; some all black, and at least one red throat, hopefully more. That represents "South Florida" to "South Georgia", in theory, at least....and a diversification of blood.

We have only opinion and guessing, as to whether these split scales are from inbreeding. Personally, I think that this is likely, because of the very limited genepool of a very rare snake, protected by law. Even if we assume this to be true, if we truly love these snakes, shouldn't we work towards diversifying the genepool as far as possible?

As for "lower fertility rates" and "clutches which do not produce indigos", I absolutely attribute this to breeder negligence of the VERY stringent temperatures and humidities required for producing healthy indigos. Couperi eggs absorb moisture; if allowed to be moist, they will swell and die. The female needs an ability to self regulate temperature, in a small range, and her eggs must be maintained within pretty much a ~4 or 5 degree range, or they develop spinal deformities, and other serious medical issues.

All the very best,
Chris

Old 03-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
tim brophy
Snakes have an umbilical scar. It is where the yolk sac attaches to the developing snake while it is in the egg. The breeder who you contacted knows his stuff. He has bred 100's of Drymarchons.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
bmwdirtracer
I've discovered today that I need to retract a statement I made, above. I said the splits won't shed out....

I took a couple of my snakes out for some sunshine, and discovered that my red-throat '12 girl no longer has any split scales -- just a dark line, where the split used to be, on 7 scales. Two of the scales still have a tiny notch in the trailing edge, but there is absolutely no cleft in any of the scales anymore.

I was somewhat excited and perplexed by this find, because over many decades, I've had many snakes with scars and scalation abnormalities which never really disappeared.....

....and I went in to re-examine my red throat '12 boy. Nope, he still has his cleft scales, unchanged, as far as I can tell. Oh well....I'm not sure what any of this actually proves, but I thought I'd correct my comment above to "sometimes". .....

Old 04-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
eminart
Does anyone have photos of the split scales? I've heard and read a lot about it, but I don't think I've ever seen photos. I just have one couperi, and he doesn't have any split scales.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!