Working on it. Maybe. LOL - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Working on it. Maybe. LOL

Not so sure about this one. All the signs are there, but I messed up on getting the male back to her after feeding, so he only got to spend a little while with her.

Guess it's a good thing I don't depend on litters for a living, eh.

Anyway, she just isn't growing quite like she did with her first litter, and I fear I'll have a mess of slugs this time around. But the time should be getting close. On 10-29-09 I noticed a swelling in all the right places, I took this as follicular development. Then again on 12-05-09, which I wasn't quite sure if it was an ovulation or the second oviduct developing more follicles. But I do know it wasn't food, as she had already refused her last 3 meals. Well, on 12-21-09, she made it clear enough for me by ovulating, and showing a nice large swell, and confirmed that ovulation by giving me a perfect shed on 01-04-10.

Counting forward from there 101 days puts her at April 15th. But this girl didn't read the book. She went 135 days POS last litter. If she follows that same path, we're talking May 19th.

Either way, she just doesn't have the growth. She's large, but barely larger then a week or so after her POS.

Jan 13th.

And her today. She looks huge, but she's just all flat out. This time her first litter, she COULDN'T flatten out. LOL...

Here she is her first litter, around the same time factor we're at now...

The pics may not show it, but I just don't see any growth this time, so I don't have my hopes set very high on the outcome of this attempt. It would be my first failure though. LOL What did I learn? Remember to reinsert the male dumb ass!

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
Thanks for looking!
Rick

Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Has she put on any length since her last litter Rick?

Maybe you're just looking at a smaller litter this time, but that's just the speculation of someone who's learning from your experiences....in any case, best of luck amigo.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Probably a little bit, but not like she's grown 2 feet or anything.

Could be a SMALL litter I reckon. This would be the right time to be wrong, eh.

Thanks for the luck Brother!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
jendee
yup I say good luck too! I think your gonna have a nice litter. Maybe yhe second time around things are just a little bit more stretched out and relaxed thats all!! Well I hope so anyway

Old 04-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Anyway, she just isn't growing quite like she did with her first litter, and I fear I'll have a mess of slugs this time around.
Told ya so. 31 of them all in a nice pile this morning, and one pissed off starving Mom that thinks I'm food.

That's alright, we'll try her son with her in a couple years.

Next time I'll pay more attention to my timing and length of visits.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Helenthereef
It's a shame, but at least you know why - nothing worse than a total mystery.
Wonder how long she'll hang on to the bad temper?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
A meal or 2 and she'll calm down. First ones already down, and in this case, she'll get another one in a week, then back to normal feedings.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
mxracer4life
Darn! I had a hogg female do that to me last year, although I did get 2 babies from her, but 20 something slugs. Good luck for next time! By the way, have you ever read Vin Russo's book " The complete Boa constrictor "?

Old 04-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Haven't read it cover to cover yet, but I've browsed it plenty. And a couple others too. Why do you ask?

Old 04-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
mxracer4life
I have read over 80% of it, and he can be hard to follow epecially on the breeding. For instance, he has a section on breeding, but when you read the chapters for the specific local of boas he gets more detailed on the breeding. He states that the 105 days on average after the POS are pretty much on the spot with columbians. He made it seem if they went shorter or longer it was due to something we as the breeder did wrong, more so temp related. I don't know. Read into it a little and let me know what you think.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!