Some NE Ohio finds - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
garweft
Some NE Ohio finds

Finally had a nice day to get out and do some field herping. It’s been a long cold winter, and it’s finally nice to get out and see some NE Ohio herps. I only hit one spot for about an hour as I had a full day of errands to run, but seen a few things, one of which was real special.

As I walked along the boardwalk I saw a garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis), however it quickly slithered under the boardwalk never to be seen again. I was a little disappointed as it was the first snake I would see this year, and I didn’t even get to hold it, let alone get musked or bit.

After watching the gartersnake slip out of site I decided to flip a few logs. Under the first one I flipped I found a few red-backed salamanders (Plethodon cinereus). I quickly snapped this pic of a normal red-back and a “lead phase” red-back that I found sharing the log.

I then continued on my way. As I approached an open water area I could hear spring peepers (Pseudacris crucifer) and wood frogs (Rana sylvatica)calling louder and louder. Most were either off in the distance, or quickly dove under water, however one did stand still long enough to grab a quick pic.

After photographing the wood frog I looked behind me as a little bit of movement caught my eye. There slowly crawling through the shallow water among the emergent vegetation was a beautiful spotted turtle (Clemmys guttata). I quickly resituated and snapped a few pics of her before she eventually crawled out of sight.

All in all it was a nice day. I didn’t see any smooth green snakes (Opheodrys vernalis syn. Lioclonorophis vernalis), which was one of the species I had hoped to photograph. But seeing a spotted turtle always makes it worth the time, besides I still have all year.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
jsrocket
Really nice pic of the spotted, Matthew. Those are quite rare where I'm from (MI). In all my days of field herping, I've yet to see ONE.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Miss Tuniwha
Very nice!. I am lucky to find a garter snake here in MN it seems HA HA.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrocket
Really nice pic of the spotted, Matthew. Those are quite rare where I'm from (MI). In all my days of field herping, I've yet to see ONE.
They are very rare here too. I just happen to live near a nice local and usually see 1 or 2 a year in spring.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Laura Fopiano
Wow, very cool Matt! I just went out on Saturday and living in the south is a whole different herping adventure than my old home in So. Cal. Thanx for the pix and sharing your adventure!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
catawhat
Awesome Matt, I really hope to get out to Hocking/Vinton county in the next few weeks. Great pics, love the turtle!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
iasc300
nice pics sounds like you had a good time-

Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
im so jealous! im certainly going to go out on my own and try to get some pictures of critters!! SOOON once all this blasted snow melts!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!