Bad Guy Florida Herps (www.floridaherps.com) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
the_edsta
Thumbs down Florida Herps (www.floridaherps.com)

This company has an excellent selection, but when the order was incorrect, the customer service (via a lady named Lonna) was absurd. She refused to send me the correct animal, and instead offerred me a $10 credit on a future order.

Not a huge problem, but her attitude was. Ignorant, rude, abbrasive, emotional, inflamatory. If this wasn't bad enough, she threatened to send her brother out to repossess the animals, refund my money, and potentially assault me. I will include a direct quote here, cut and pasted from her last email:

"We do know where you live if we need to send Dale over to collect our animals. Just let us know, we can have him at your house in 1 hour, he will take back the critters and give you a full refund right there. If you think for 1 second we will let you keep our animals and get your money back, well I can 100000% assure you we will take action, and I don’t mean online games. My brother Dale lives about 45mins from your address. You want him to stop by with a few buddies to repo the animals? Just play on kid…"

This is the last paragraph of the email unedited. And just to be clear: I never said anything about returning the animals or keeping the money. I just said I would complain to Paypal. I can forward a screenshot to anyone who is interested to prove this is a direct quote.

If the animal is available ANYWHERE else, order there. I went to this place and it is not a warehouse, but a trailer in the woods with video surveylance and pit bulls. Very bizarre. On second thought, if the animal you want is ONLY at FloridaHerps, just wait till it shows up somewhere else. Don't take the risk, because if the order is wrong, you are screwed.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Suncoast Herpetological
Rather than posting an excerpt from one email I would suggest the entire email exchange with headers so a true read on the situation can be had.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
the_edsta
I think it is fairly self-explanatory. I could talk to any reputable seller for hours, let alone 4-5 emails, and never have it get to the point where the illogical and misguided 'customer service' person threatens to send her brother to my house.

If a legitimate person is interested in this information, though, and not just the same company under one of its many pseudonyms, then I would be glad to forward the last email in the chain so it can be read from the beginning.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_edsta View Post
I think it is fairly self-explanatory. I could talk to any reputable seller for hours, let alone 4-5 emails, and never have it get to the point where the illogical and misguided 'customer service' person threatens to send her brother to my house.

If a legitimate person is interested in this information, though, and not just the same company under one of its many pseudonyms, then I would be glad to forward the last email in the chain so it can be read from the beginning.
Lonna does sound like a piece of work but you need to post more information so she can be judged.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Suncoast Herpetological
Eed

No offense but you seem awfully interested in only showing the last email in the string as opposed to the whole exchange. While I agree that her response is way out of line, how do we know that she is not responding to something far worse from you if you do not supply the entire string?

You are new to this site so the oldtimers have no history with you to base an opinion on. Without full disclosure you are not likely to get the benefit of the doubt.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_edsta View Post

By the Way Ed...if you are attempting to imply that because of my geographic proximity I am Florida Herps...check out my join date. I have been a member here since 2002. A search on either me or my company name will verify that I am a "legitimate person"

Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
the_edsta
No offense taken. It is clearly true: I am more interested in posting the last part because it is the essence of my complaint. Yes, they made a mistake with my order, but that is indeed forgivable. The nature of my complaint is NOT that a mistake was made, but that the tone of the 'customer service' was unacceptable.

Mistakes happen and I am not interested in describing the mix-up publicly. I only intend to show that floridaherps.com has the poor customer service that is uncapable of keeping a professional, respectful tone. I do agree, though, and if I have time I will try to compile a more extensive conversation to present as evidence.

Sorry for the open implication as well. I do recognize suncoast herps and I have in fact checked out your cornsnakes in the past! I was a bit weary, though, as florida herps also operates under the wholesaler name Suncoast Reptiles.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Suncoast Herpetological
No offense taken on my part either. The name similarity has been a source of aggravation to me since they came on the scene. That coupled with the fact that they are literally around the corner from me is an ongoing irritation

That said...

The excerpt you posted strongly suggests a response to a threat or unreasonable request on your end. I find it hard to believe that what you posted was spontaneous with no prior instigation.

That is why the email string is pretty much essential in a case like this if you want your complaint taken seriously.

You call of course but the weight lent to your claims is directly proportional to the evidence you present

Old 01-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
Lonna does sound like a piece of work but you need to post more information so she can be judged.
Oh mr. clark, how you do make me laugh, always with the do as I say not as I do.

Edsta, you need to post everything between the two of you. It's the way it's done here. Even mr. clark, who can't do it himself, knows that. Prove your point and you'll have a lot of support. Post partials or start saying it doesn't matter that you just wanted to let people know and you'll lose all credibility.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
the_edsta
Well if I must! I am usually one to follow protocol!

What happened was this: I was going to be in Orlando and thought I might drive down to Bradenton to pick up a pair of eastern newts. They were only $10 each, so $40 shipping was dissuading me. I added two green tree frogs just for the heck of it because they were on sale. I was in Orlando on Friday night, and on Saturday received an email saying my order was set for pickup. I drove down from Orlando, ended up being farther than I thought. Cost me almost $40 in gas round trip (240 miles!). When I got there, the guy working was nice. He told me they gave me a bonus frog and indeed there was a third. I told him I didn’t need it, but he said I could keep it. I could only see one newt, though, and he assured me the other was hiding. When I got in the car, I decided I better check, and sure enough, there was only one newt! Now this was disappointing because I spent a month setting up a vivarium for two newts and drove two hours to pick them up. I emailed customer service, and they said they could give me a $10 credit toward a future order. I explained that this was not helpful, as I would have to pay $40 in shipping. They again apologized and extended a $10 credit (the price of the newt). At that point, I started pointing out that I was not interested because I would have driven all the way down once (cost me $) and would then have to pay shipping on top of it (another $40 just for the one newt I should already have!).

Again, I want to point out that I really don't give a damn about the newt anymore. Water under the bridge. I do think this person was inflexible and that the tone got away from her very early in the discussion. And I think you will also see that that last bit (the threats) were unnecessary and scarcely provoked.

Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 9:21 PM
To: sales@floridaherps.com
Subject: RE: Your Florida Herps Order Has Been Updated (#8992)
I understand it from your perspective: but why can't you see it from mine? I want two newts. I had to pay shipping on one (gas) and now I'm going to pay shipping on another. I could never have walked away while I was down there because I had already committed to the order by driving down. I would like to explain this to dr. Bill if you cannot see my perspective.

Ed
To: the_edsta@hotmail.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:39:05 -0500
Ed,
No you didn’t pay shipping. You chose LOCAL pickup, which is a service we have for LOCAL (Sarasota/Bradenton) customers. The fact that you are not local isn’t our fault sir. This is no different than if you walked into a Sarasota Pet Store. If you drove to Sarasota Petsmart to pickup an online order and they were out of what you ordered or back stocked, or the item was damaged – do you really think that company would write you a check to cover your gas? Really? I will not at all bother Dr. Thompson regarding a $10 Newt, I mean no disrespect but he doesn’t deal with these matters. I do. I already credited your PayPal account for the Newt (even the sales tax), gave you $9.95 Store Credit and you got a free frog. But we are not going to pay for your gas nor ship you another one for free. That is just plain ridiculous. We will however do what Nick told you, next time you are down here let us know and we’ll make sure to have a free one here for you. Or you can use the store credit. I am very sorry you chose to drive all the way to our local pickup location, but that was your choice. This is a service we offer our local customers, thus gas money isn’t an issue. If you were local we would even bring you a free Newt, but you aren’t.
Now if we shipped this order to you and screwed it up, we would ship you a free Newt of course. But being a “local” customer you got to see your order and had a choice to cancel it, return the animals for a full refund – or accept Nick’s offer – which you did.
Lonna Thompson – Customer Service Manager
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:24 PM
The extra frog was WRONG of you. I did not want it. I brought it up to nick and he told me it was a free bonus frog. He also told me both newts were in the deli cup. I stopped the car to check on the way out and that is how I found out.

I also received a confirmation email that stated my order was ready for pickup. Why lie? Why not tell me my order was incorrect? Why not allow me NOT to drive down? Sneaking me an extra frog I do not want does not help matters; I wish you would stop mentioning it. If walmart is out of microwaves, I do not want two toasters. I also do not want my ten dollars back. I also do not want a credit. I want what I ordered: the other newt. I do not want gas money, but I do want you to be an understanding human being and not ask me to drive from Jacksonville to your place for one newt.

I held up my end of the bargain. I paid and drove down. You made the mistake of including an extra frog I didn't want and then sending me a confirmation email saying my order was waiting for me. Why not be gracious and offer to ship one to me?

Ed
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 23:06:49 -0500
Ok young man, you do not need contact us again. Calling us liars? Really?
Nick had no idea what was in or not in the cup he simply grabbed them from the shelf that had your name on it. They were packed days ago by Erik in Miami. He is the one that made a mistake and gave you 1 newt and 3 frogs. It was an honest mistake that happens when you package over 100 orders a day.
You received an automated email from our website, I don’t know what the deal is with that. It told you your order was ready to pickup and it was. If anyone knew for a second there was an order error we would have called you right away of course, and the fact that you are accusing us of purposely trying to lie or mislead you is just plain insulting.
We will not being doing anything more for you and you can forget about your store credit. Your insulting email is without a doubt the most immature thing I’ve read or dealt with in years. Please take your business elsewhere.
Do not reply.
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:02 AM
And you have been illogical, unthinking, uncooperative, dismissive, and condescending. Everything customer service should not be. It will end up costing me $100 for two newts when it should have cost me $50 because of your incompetence. Your request that I 'not contact' you is itself immature and absurd. In fact, I want nothing to do with you, but I have been coerced into this discussion by your incompetence. The very notion that you would compare this to something being out of stock at a pet store demonstrates your inability to use logic appropriately. Further, the fact that you admit you would send me a newt if you had shipped it, but now will not for no apparent reason (even though YOU made the mistake), is equally illogical. I will at least be submitting a complaint to Paypal. And you hopefully will not hear from me again. Best of luck.
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:22:21 -0500
For all we know you got both Newts. We watched the video tape of your transaction with Nick. You shook hands with Nick and got in your car where you and a passenger in the front seat start playing with the containers. 30 secs later you are out of the car knocking on the door. We see you and Nick looking at the container and can make out most of what Nick was saying. You sure seemed happy when you left. Honestly Nick’s first thought was you guys tried to pull a fast one on us. Oh, and how about the fact that your email from your order said you were going to be in town on Sat. Then later you make it out like it was a special trip? Or how about the fact that we had to pay Nick for 2 extra hours while he waited for you because you were VERY late? Nick makes $14.40 an hour, are you going to pay for the wages we paid him while he waited for you? You are a real piece of work kid, really you are. In 16+ years of this company we have never once had a customer like you, not one. When people ask us why we no longer deal with locals, we will mention you by name. Customers like you ruin things for everyone else. We are a wholesaler, as Nick explained to you – yes our surveillance system is pretty good. We even have you on tape sitting at the end of our driveway emailing me. Why would any adult be all happy when he is face to face with us but 1 min later starts playing email games? If you were that upset be a man and go back and talk to Nick, but no…

We do know where you live if we need to send Dale over to collect our animals. Just let us know, we can have him at your house in 1 hour, he will take back the critters and give you a full refund right there. If you think for 1 second we will let you keep our animals and get your money back, well I can 100000% assure you we will take action, and I don’t mean online games. My brother Dale lives about 45mins from your address. You want him to stop by with a few buddies to repo the animals? Just play on kid…
No I am again asking you to stop harassing us with your emails. Go away and play your PayPal game.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!