Hognose for beginners? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-10-2004, 05:26 PM   #11
jkrose
Seamus you are absolutely correct and a very knowledgeable scientist. My argument about the coral snake having rear fangs is innaccurate. They do have frontal fixed fangs and differ completely from the hogs that have "enlarged rear fangs" incapable of toxin injection. The only point I wanted to make is that they are not something to be feared. As our history has shown most things feared are destroyed and I worry about the declining populations of Heterodon here in my location and everywhere. Lastly, the idea of not fearing something does not mean not respecting it because as our beautiful oceans have proven time and time again, even the most tranquil and beautiful sea can and has taken the life of the folly and even the wise thus demanding respect just as everything in nature. So don't be afraid of the Hognose snake just respect the fact that some people have reacted to the bite of this species.
K.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:53 PM   #12
TooManyBurmese
If they are not recommended for a beginner (I only keep large boids, and more recently two rat snakes):

What would be recommended as a "stepping stone" snake to prepare for a hognose?

If they need amphibians in their diet, I would have to purchase them, as catching them in the wild is not an option for me.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #13
jkrose
You could start with an adult western hognose that is already taking mice full time. The westerns can tolerate rodents as their mainstay and this way you could learn the behavior and temperment of the hognose species. Just remember that every snake is different and unique just like people so they will all have different personalities. Hognose snakes are fun and rather simple to care for and they really never bite humans unless one is being careless. Well, good luck and try purchasing an adult or sub-adult from any reputable western hognose dealer.
K.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:57 AM   #14
Beyond the Web
I saw a pet shop employee just the other day who allowed a child, probably no older than 6 years old, handle a hognose! I believe it was a Western, anyway, is that "ok"?!

Old 01-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #15
Colchicine
As long as the child had no form of food scent on his hands (personal obs: even a sausage biscuit can be mistaken for food), then it is perfectly safe. Hogs don't bite out of defense.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!