Brumation ins and outs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
99Vengeur
Stop! Brumation ins and outs

I'm not for certain until I get a weight for my male, but I might try breeding my pair next year. What I need to know about is brumation.

1. I know what it is and the concept behind it, but how is it actually done?

2. What are the temps and time frame for cooling them down?

3. Also, how exactly are the temperatures reduced? I mean, if the ambient temp in my house is around 78-80, how do I reach temps in the 50-60's?

4. What should be provided during this period (water, food, hides, substrate, light, etc)?

5. Should both the male and female go through brumation, or is it more for the female?

6. Also, what are some of the dangers and problems encountered during brumation, and what sort of things should I be on the lookout for?

I have done quite a bit of reading, but nowhere have I read a "cookbook" version that addresses all these concerns.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Old 08-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
ladyserpent7
http://pawild.net/hognose/show_con.php?p_id=10

this website might help

Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
99Vengeur
Rana, glad you're back and thanks for the reply!

That website is good in that it summarizes much of what I have read already. However, I am still unclear how I actually reduce the temperatures. If my house stays at an ambient temperature of about 78-80, how in the world do I get temps in the 50's? I live in Louisiana, so it stays pretty warm until the middle-to-end of January.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
ladyserpent7
air condition......thats what i use when it gets too hot for giselle.then again shes right next to the air condition...or if you have heat pad under the tank or other heating supplies..turn one off...thats all i can think of..sorry if im not of any help

Old 08-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
romad119
Robert,

Under those circumstances, perhaps just go as low as reasonably possible? Turn off heat in racks, move to cooler part of house. Any of it may be enough to give them some type of seasonal difference.

The change in feeding patterns and other parts can still have an impact that is positive regardless of how low you can get the temps to.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!