Illinois state law issues - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:51 AM   #51
Alias47
Thanks for the update, Jason.

I spent some time looking through the other current bills sponsored by Elaine Nekritz...she is definitely a far left liberal...
I have absolutely no doubt that she works hand in hand with the Animal Rights groups...
She is currently sponsoring several bills that would damage the firearms industry as well as be hugely detrimental to hunting in Illinois.

I will definitely send a message to Rep. Froehlich...and thanks for all your help as well.

As a sidenote...the Illinois Farmers Union has a tremendous lobbying power with the Agriculture and Conservation Committee...thank God.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #52
snakepunk
native species and morphs

Not sure if this the correct place to post this, so please forgive me if it isn't.

I've been breeding corns for over 10 years, but I'm wanting to start working with other colubrids, some of which are native IL species/subspecies.

Does anyone know what the legality is on buying/breeding/selling native IL snakes within the state? How would that relate to morphs (amel prairie kings, white-sided black rats, locality bulls, etc)?

I've seen many of these at the tables of vendors at the Tinley show (even emory rats which are listed as state-threatened), but didn't want to risk a huge fine or jail time on that.

I've have tried looking it up on the IDNR website, but it isn't exactly clear on a lot of things.

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #53
sschind
I am in the process of developing an educational program centered around reptiles and even though I will be based in WI a lot of my shows will be in Illinois. I know a few things about Illinois laws regarding animals, one being that any animal coming into the state needs a certificate of health from a veterinarian. My question on this is that since all my animals would be the same from trip to trip (I'm not bringing in animals to sell at reptile shows for example) would I need a certificate for each trip or could I get a blanket certificate. My second question is if these certificates need to be from an Illinois vet (how could I get an illinois vet to check my animals if I cant bring them into IL to get them checked without them being checked by an IL vet.)

My second set of questions is regarding the display of animals in an educational venue. What sort of permits do I need. I was told by one person that I may need a USDA permit.

If anyone can help me out to get my research started I would appreciate it.

Steve Schindler

Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #54
Herps Alive!
Steve- The USDA does not permit reptiles, so no worries there. Vet certificates from the state of origin are fine, but double check- you may find most of your reptiles DO NOT need them. When I am scheduled into a new state, I write to the State Division of Wildlife (or equivalent) and ask them what I need. Keep all your e-mails, so if there is a conflict, you are covered. I am/have been licensed in 25 different states over the years. It can be a pain in the butt, but I think making sure we are legal is part of educating.
If you want to drop me an e-mail, use herpsalive@earthlink.net

Keith Gisser

Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #55
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herps Alive! View Post
Steve- The USDA does not permit reptiles, so no worries there. Vet certificates from the state of origin are fine, but double check- you may find most of your reptiles DO NOT need them. When I am scheduled into a new state, I write to the State Division of Wildlife (or equivalent) and ask them what I need. Keep all your e-mails, so if there is a conflict, you are covered. I am/have been licensed in 25 different states over the years. It can be a pain in the butt, but I think making sure we are legal is part of educating.
If you want to drop me an e-mail, use herpsalive@earthlink.net

Keith Gisser
Thanks Keith. I got a call from Scott Ballard from the IL DNR (Thanks Scott) and he filled me in on a bunch of things. I've done small local shows before but I am teaming up with The Science Alliance from Lake Geneva WI and I'm looking to get more of a "professional" show. Everything I have done before was mainly as favors to friends and customers in my store. This will be my first foray into shows where I have a booking agent and a base to work out of. I was forced (strongly persuaded at least) to shut down my store and shortly after I was informed by my landlord this opportunity came up. I guess everything does happen for a reason. I may take you up on the Email thing, I've got a few questions.

Steve

Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #56
Herps Alive!
You will find that the folks actually charged with enforcing these laws (like Scott Ballard, who I know of, but do not know) are pretty good folks to deal with. They often dislike the laws more than we do and will really go above and beyond the call to help...the stories I have over the years of licenses faxed to the wrong number; meeting a rep at the Highway Welcome Ctr to pick up paperwork, the threat of an animal cruelty citation for not offering a bowl of water to a Uromastyx lizard could probably fill a book.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!