what caused RI in my ball python - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
hhmoore
2cc is not the correct dose, nor is it likely the vet would have diluted it to that volume.

My statement that it was likely husbandry related was not intended as any sort of criticism...but, insisting that everything is right on your end isn't going to help you get to the cause of the problem. A healthy snake isn't likely to just inhale a passing microorganism and develop a respiratory infection. Barring the presence of another sick snake - which seems unlikely, given the nature of your posts - the most likely causes are husbandry related.
You mentioned that you use bleach when cleaning...do you wash/rinse everything thoroughly afterwards?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhood23 View Post
7 doses every other day is only 2 weeks, not a month. What do you use to check your temps? how are you housing your snake? How did the vet test to see if it was an RI? Also what kind was it? Bactirial? Viral? Those factors may be able to help figure out what caused it. What is the rooms' ambient temp? Please give all the info you can.
Given that the snake was seen today, and the antibiotics were given today, there is no way that a culture or sensitivity test could have been completed. If it is viral, the Baytril will prove useless. Luckily, the most common microbes found in the airway of a snake with RI are generally sensitive to Baytril.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
TacticalMorphs
i have a infrared temp gun thats how i know my temps are good. the vet said if it dont clear up they will swab his mouth. all he did was pry open the mouth and looked and said "yep thats beginning to manifest." then he told me how to give him the injections.The ambient temp is 80. all day and night.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
TacticalMorphs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Given that the snake was seen today, and the antibiotics were given today, there is no way that a culture or sensitivity test could have been completed. If it is viral, the Baytril will prove useless. Luckily, the most common microbes found in the airway of a snake with RI are generally sensitive to Baytril.
i hope it is quick. does anyone know how long on average it takes to clear up. i have done some research and i saw on a site that snakes that contract ri will usually get it again. i hope that is a bunch of crap. i have a bunch of 100% het pieds and a spider 100% pied i want to pair him with. And if if does clear up is it safe to breed him this season or should i wait. I dont want to be known in the snake industry as "the guy who sells snakes with ri" I put alot of time and money into my collection. and dont want to have it got to waste. I am new to this and I have no problem asking for help either. any advice will be appreciated.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #15
Focal
I would give him at least 60 days after treatment before intorducing him to a female or even longer if it pops back up. You want to make sure the medicine takes and re-quarantine incase the illness is unaffected by antibiotics or viral like Harald said.

I think the vet gave me enough for a year and told me to give it to her for 6 weeks. After mentioning that on here I found out it was probably too long. I stopped after two weeks and she has been fine since.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!