Snakes shouldn't click - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Ophion
Snakes shouldn't click

I am generally paranoid so I could be worrying too much or maybe not enough, I don't know.

My Brazilian Rainbow Boa (3-4 months) has been making a clicking noise when she breathes. I had noticed it probably a several weeks ago (which worries me even more if it is something and it has been there for a while). I looked it up and the only thing that came up was an RI. She had absolutely no other symptoms though. When I went back to listen again I didn't hear it anymore so I thought I was hearing things. Another day I heard again, thought I was nuts, thought maybe it was her scales getting stuck to my hand then unsticking, not her. (because it seemed to happen when she moved and wasn't consistent with every breath.. but then it never ends up being every breath) She shed and it went away after she shed. Now it is back again, I am either insane or she finds this a great game.

The click seems a bit stronger (or I am more attuned to it I am not sure), but isn't very consistent, obviously. There is nothing coming out of her nose, nothing in her mouth, everything looks clear and healthy. Her last shed was perfect. Her tank is at 80-81 with 80%-90% at all times. She is eating, gaining weight and active. That clicking just worries me and doesn't seem normal.

Some thoughts would be great. I have a fantastic vet 5 minutes away, but wanted some other knowledgeable opinions before I whisked her off for hundreds of dollars to hear I was being overly paranoid again.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
One thing to check for is whether there is physical damage to one of the nostrils. I used to have a columbian boa I purchased from a local yokel years ago which had at some point rubbed it's nose pretty good. Always has a slight wheeze when her breathing was labored, but I had her checked by the vet with a clean bill of health. One of her scales was just partially misshapen which caused the noise.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Actually I sometimes hear very slight noises from my Fiji boas who have no symptoms of any illness. I shall listen more diligently and see if I could describe it as a click and get back to you.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
hhmoore
The click is generally a symptom - check the patency of the nares, as John suggested. I'd also look at the next shed...I suspect you may find small plugs are causing an occlusion (they will be attached to the shed)

Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
the patency of the nares

That's a fantastic phrase - what does it mean?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 AM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
That's a fantastic phrase - what does it mean?
Make sure the nose holes are open.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Ophion
Thank you all very much. I was looking at her nostrils closely before I posted and it looked fine, but I wasn't pointed to look at anything in particular either. When I get home I will look again for those things and obviously when she sheds again.

I also have to go to a local store today and the owner there is quite knowledgeable. I was debating taking her to have some more knowledgeable eyes have a look at here, but I want to have some reasonable idea it isn't an RI so I am not taking something contagious. If anyone thinks this is a good idea?

I could also try and get some pictures of her nose assuming her cooperation. (I have a macro lens)

Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
hhmoore
You may or may not be able to catch it in a pic - it can be tough to see unless a nare is obviously occluded.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Focal
Probably not applicable since you have already checked out her nose, but how are her sheds? My BRB had a little bit of shed in her nostril once that would make a sound.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Ophion
I am a bit slow. I did end up taking her to the guy at the store. He first remarked how wonderfully healthy she looked, looked in her nostrils and said they're as clear as can be. Couldn't find a dang thing wrong. Of course he isn't a vet, but at least can see and knows more than I.

She has only shed once so far with me and it was a perfect shed from all that i could see.

Everything made me feel a bit better, except of course I fed her and four days later she regurgitated. Finally got her eating consistant and she regurgitated, more oddly 4 days after eating. I am hoping it is stress, I handled her the evening before (3 days after feeding, as I had previously with no issues), but she didn't do anything until at least 12-16 hours later. I am going to wait a week and half to try and feed her again and leave her completely alone. Hopefully that is our issue.

Apparently everything is testing me as now my other one has also escaped after shedding from a hole or place I cannot find to a hole or place I also cannot find. (most worried as I have a flying squirrel that I can imagine would love to shred him to pieces) I know I am new, but I am trying and these two can sure make me feel like an idiot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!