Opinions on treating... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Katie.Shinkle
Opinions on treating...

I'd like to hear your opinions on treating an animal/group of animals for confirmed parasites if the animal is otherwise healthy, eating, and growing despite the parasites.

Would you go ahead and treat, or would you leave them be, carefully monitoring their health and weight and getting regular fecals to see if there is a decline in the infestation?

I saw this asked a while ago, but there were only 3 or so responses.

My thoughts:

A healthy immune system is built by your immune system having to actually work. It drives me nuts how people wash their hands after every little thing they do, worried that they are going to catch some awful disease. Their immune systems are not working, therefore are not strong enough to fight off an illness should one come along.

Same applies for parasites. Your body knows the parasites aren't supposed to be there, or at least not in high numbers, and your immune system should be able to fight them off/keep them in check. It's good to give your immune system a little 'work out' to make it stronger, therefore it can protect you better.

I say, if the animal is still eating, appears healthy, and is not losing weight, yet has parasites, the animal (depending on the parasite of course) should be left alone to let it's immune system do what it's supposed to do. Once you notice a decrease in weight, appetite, or overall health, as well as an increase in the parasite load, the animal should be treated. Proper monitoring of the animal's weight and bowel movements should be enough.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
deborahbroadus
I wouldn't leave internal parasites in any animal that I wanted to remain healthy (not even dogs). Sometimes "waiting" is giving the parasites time to do their thing, which is steal nutrients from the animal.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
lauraleellbp
Personally I'd treat. Otherwise the least little other thing that comes along (animal gets too cold, too hot, something happens with food, etc) could very easily tip the balance and the animal's already stressed immune system could crash.

I think it's strange how many people will tolerate internal parasites in their animals, yet freak out over external parasites. Is out of sight REALLY that out of mind?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
I would definitely treat. Reptiles in particular are prone to hiding illnesses. By the time you notice any decline, the parasite load could be so severe that even killing all the parasites could lead to a septic condition, in addition to treating an animal with a depleted immune system from the parasites.

I agree about the irrational panic over germs in general, but parasite treatment in an animal, especially a reptile, is not a overreaction.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Katie.Shinkle
Thanks everyone.

When I say they have parasites, I do mean a low amount. Not large amounts and continuously checking. Just seems treating could do more harm than good, when you could instead let their immune system do its job.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
bsharrah
They won't stay in low numbers in captive animals and the immune system's job is not to rid the body of them.

Parasites have a life cycle that often involves passing its eggs/offspring through the reptile in the reptile's feces. In the wild, the animal defecates and goes on its way. In captivity, the reptile doesn't go far and the parasites re-enter the reptile host, eventually causing a large infestation in the host animal which can lead to serious health issues and even death. This is why wild reptiles can go their whole life with parasites, keeping their population in the host in check, but in captivity the same parasites can be fatal.

No question. The animals need treated.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
They won't stay in low numbers in captive animals and the immune system's job is not to rid the body of them.

Parasites have a life cycle that often involves passing its eggs/offspring through the reptile in the reptile's feces. In the wild, the animal defecates and goes on its way. In captivity, the reptile doesn't go far and the parasites re-enter the reptile host, eventually causing a large infestation in the host animal which can lead to serious health issues and even death. This is why wild reptiles can go their whole life with parasites, keeping their population in the host in check, but in captivity the same parasites can be fatal.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Katie.Shinkle
Quote:

Thanks! Never thought of it that way.

What about annual treatments, does anyone do that? Or only if parasites show up? And what about the natural gut flora? I read that most reptiles carry certain parasites naturally, like pinworms (I think?).

Old 09-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
bsharrah
Personally, I only treat for internal parasites if detected and would not do it as a precaution. The drugs used to treat for them are not harmless and any drug use comes with some level of risk.

Although parasites do occur naturally, for the reasons already stated, I don't know of any that should be left untreated, especially pins.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
Katie.Shinkle
Quote:
Personally, I only treat for internal parasites if detected and would not do it as a precaution. The drugs used to treat for them are not harmless and any drug use comes with some level of risk.

Although parasites do occur naturally, for the reasons already stated, I don't know of any that should be left untreated, especially pins.
Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!