Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #111
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
You should also be able to add a little calcium or vitamin powder to whatever "liquid" diet you're tubing into him, but just add a bit of water so it goes thru the tubing easily.
You can get liquid calcium supplement. Normally it's added to the water bowl but she could just add a few drops to the egg mixture. When I had baby garters I would also put a drop on their night crawler feeder because worms lack calcium. It's thin like water.

I suggested it because a lack of calcium can cause muscle weakness and other issues.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #112
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
Hi Helen
Really glad he’s still alive ,I think your doing a grand job with him
I know it’s a bit gross and Ive never had to do anything like what’s your doing only oral antibiotics for ten days but would you be able to liquidise a mouse and use that
Be a bit messy but would have everything that he would normally eat when healthy, would even smell right .would probably have to water it down a bit to get into the tibe like
Cheers rich

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Many years ago I actually tried to "blend-erize" (make a "snake-shake") out of f/t fuzzy rodents as others had discussed. Yes, it's very gross, but it's also not entirely safe, as you can end up with bone fragments that can cause internal injuries & only add another problem. I'm sure there are vastly more expensive commercial food processors that can do a better job with a safer results, but short of that, I wouldn't try it. And in my experience tube-feeding sick snakes, they don't care that it's not "mouse/rat flavor"....it's just that the chicken baby food is easily digested, enabling them to return to more normal functioning, feel better, and regain their desire for real food. It's the closest thing to an I.V. for a snake with no appetite.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #113
richardhind1972
Hi
I wasn’t sure wether it was possible ,I was also worried unless it was industrial strength that it wouldn’t grind up enough , I just wondered if calcium would be of help from the mouse itself
Good that the calcium powder can work a treat ,good luck
Cheers rich

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old 05-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #114
Helenthereef
I hadn't considered calcium deficiency as a source of muscle weakness, but it makes sense now you bring it up. I do have calcium tablets, and you can make calcium powder out of ground up eggshell.

I'm adding liquid baby vitamins, wonder if I can get liquid calcium supplements? Oh well - back to baffle the pharamacist some more...

I did once get ground up tinned cat food down him, might try that again.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #115
Helenthereef
My partner is coming to the USA in July. If there are any specific dietary products you can suggest, he might be able to pick them up.

Also any suggestions for tube and delivery system?

Currently I'm using a tube from an oxygen delivery mask, and a 50 ml syringe. The tube might be a bit hard, not sure, but the size of it and the syringe neck is certainly a limiting factor on the amount of material I can get through it.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #116
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I hadn't considered calcium deficiency as a source of muscle weakness, but it makes sense now you bring it up. I do have calcium tablets, and you can make calcium powder out of ground up eggshell.

I'm adding liquid baby vitamins, wonder if I can get liquid calcium supplements?
https://www.amazon.com/Fluker-Labs-C...13A/ref=sr_1_1

Old 05-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #117
hotlips
For tube-feeding, I've always used rubber hospital grade urethral catheters & 60 cc. syringes, & actually, you can get them from http://www.beanfarm.com/collections/...-feeding-tools

Some vets will take pity & supply them to you also, but most medical suppliers (for human stuff) look at you like you're nuts & demand a prescription...? (I never have figured out what nefarious thing they thought I wanted a urethral catheter for, & apparently they didn't believe- or care?- that I was tube-feeding a snake! LOL!)

The reason urethral catheters are perfect for this is that the tip is rounded & closed: there are 2 holes just above the end on either side of the tube, so you don't have the blunt-cut tubing causing any internal scrapes as you push it in. I always lubricate the outer tubing with a drop of olive oil anyway, as it slides better. And when you first put the tube in, expel just a bit of liquid in the upper throat, as that too will make insertion easier on the snake. Unless, of course, you got them to take a drink of water...right before doing this?

Old 05-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #118
hotlips
And by the way, The Bean Farm ships worldwide.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:31 AM   #119
Helenthereef
Thanks all, I shall investigate

Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #120
hotlips
Quick afterthought about tube-feeding snakes, for anyone thinking of trying this: just before you insert the tube (catheter) into the snake, make sure the tubing is filled with the liquid all the way to the tip (ready to drip)- you want to avoid putting air bubbles into the snake, that won't help them digest.

It's also best for the snake to be lying flat when you tube-feed: I like to do this in the
bathtub, with a towel they can lay on. That way drips are easy to clean up, but be sure to keep their body level with their head elevated as you put them back into their own enclosure.

Remember, never force the tubing: a snake will resist, of course, & occasionally their teeth can catch on the tubing, but otherwise the tubing should slide in easily; be gentle & when you feel the tubing stop, don't push any more (you're at the top of the stomach, where you need to be)...just dispense the liquid food fairly quickly, slide the tubing back out and let the snake rest. Some will open their mouth to try to regurgitate, because pulling the tube out just feels weird...I massage their neck gently, & they usually relax & keep it all down.

And for anyone just joining this (?), I've had lots of success using Gerbers (baby food)
"2nd foods- Chicken & gravy". It's very easy for a snake to digest & doesn't have sugar in it: it's nothing but ground chicken, water, & corn starch. (you'd be surprised what some other brands of baby food put in theirs!) To tube feed, you have to add enough water so it goes thru the tubing easily (test first & NOT on the snake!) & I often put a drop of olive oil in the liquid too, to make it "slippery". You can add dissolved vitamins, minerals or meds as needed also.

If you ask many vets about tube-feeding, they often recommend products like Nutrical, which is a high calorie supplement paste designed for dogs/cats...don't go there, use Gerbers. Nutrical (& similar products) contain a lot of sugars, and the main ingredient is corn syrup! Not exactly a natural food for a snake... (you can google the ingredients for yourself)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!