Melanistic redfoot tortoise...? Blackfoot tortoise...? Your call-my new breeder male - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
skycock
Melanistic redfoot tortoise...? Blackfoot tortoise...? Your call-my new breeder male

Here he is...i have never seen anything else like him for being a redfoot-looks like a little aldabra!
Trey
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Wilomn
What's his background? He doesn't look like a pure redfoot, can't think of the genus and species at the moment but his scalation on his back doesn't look right, nor does his shape.

He's pretty cool looking but weird too.

Is he freshly imported or what? He really is an oddball.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
skycock
he is 100% redfoot. the scalation head pattern mtches and his plastron is definately redfoot. he was produced in captivity but has been housed with other males since he has reached maturity so any clutches produced by him would be near impossible to prove. i have him coupled with two adult virgin females so when they do decide to breed-the babies will be het for whatever it is that he is. i will incubate them at higher temps and in about ten years or so we will know for sure.
trey

Old 06-02-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
skycock
oh, and being born in captivity and raised on a poor diet for the first few years-the shell is a bit knobby-but i can live with that if he is a true mel or anery.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
Wilomn
That does explain the shell then.

I think ten years is too long to wait.

Do something about that will ya?

Old 06-02-2005, 02:04 PM   #6
skycock
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn
That does explain the shell then.

I think ten years is too long to wait.

Do something about that will ya?
hey-one day at a time! just got him in today-find me a female like him! ill have some babies in probably 6 months so we will see how they look. could be a co-dom trait and i get half all black babies. if they all come out the same color-i guess it would be pretty safe to call the hets...? dont know if i will be selling many of them though. ill keep the site posted.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
Vince
It looks like a combination of poor incubation and poor husbandry. Being housed with males may have effected his color. Can you snap more pics of his back legs and tail? I breed alot of redfoots, I think it will be pretty cool. I dont see calling them black foots becuse his feet arent black. very cool if it really is a Melanistic

Old 06-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Vince
what local is he? second look his feet are pretty black.

Old 06-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
skycock
not sure on locale-though he is over 12 inches long. here are some more pics of his feet-what gets me is that the areole are black as well...i have never seen this paired along with an ivory colored head and carapace...regardless of what mutation he is it was a good purchase in my opinion. here are some pics... thanks
trey
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
Vince
thats what i thought. I will post pics of my male. he is a captive born colombian. his back leggs and tail are all black. The front has only a little color. And his shell has very little color. I am almost sure if he has split scutes like yours there would be even less. another shot of the head would be cool to see, try takeing it with out a flash. I will post pic of mine so you can compair.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!