feeding more then once - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-29-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
tstrenuous10
feeding more then once

im thinking about buying just a whole bag of mice for my snake. right now i only feed it once every 10 days or so. im just wondering how to feed it more then once. ive read here that people do that and im just wondering HOW to do it. yes my snake is small and im not going to start doing it anytime soon im just curious as to how long to wait until i put another mouse in to feed it with. should i wait until right after it has engulfed the first one or should i wait a day?

Old 07-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
hhmoore
If I understand your question, there really isn't much of a "how". When your snake grows to the point that one mouse doesn't seem like a large enough meal you have 2 options: decrease the time between feedings; or increase the size of the feedings (can be done by offering more, or larger prey items). If you are talking about trying to push the snake to increase the rate of growth, that is another story...one that includes a host of dangers to the snake. Your every 10 days is a good schedule. Just watch your snake, you will see when it is time to increase the feedings.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
tstrenuous10
i was thinking about getting 100 frozen mice online so thats why i asked. if it gets bigger i might just decrease it to feeding about once a week unless it doesnt eat. i wanna get it sexed so i can figure out if its a girl or boy (hoping for a girl). want to breed it with possible piebald and keep just one for me. i like the looks of them.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
Skunky
Is there an difference physiologically to the snake whether you feed your snake two smaller items (say adult mice) or one larger item (rat)?

Old 01-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
hhmoore
depends on how much of a size difference there is. As a general rule, smaller prey items seem to digest faster, and don't have as much impact on the snakes mobility or comfort. Of course, snakes may ignore too small prey items. Too large a prey item, though accepted/eaten, can cause a variety of problems

Old 01-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
amayon
i feed every 4 days. 10 seems a little long to wait!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #7
Skunky
If your snake feeds and still looks hungry, do you then a) feed a larger item next time round, b) feed the same item, just over a shorter time interval, or c) feed two items at a time?

Old 01-16-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
Karen Hulvey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky
If your snake feeds and still looks hungry, do you then a) feed a larger item next time round, b) feed the same item, just over a shorter time interval, or c) feed two items at a time?
Whichever you want. Sometimes if I don't have large mice for the ones that eat large mice, I'll feed it a smaller one and when they've swallowed that one, I offer the snake another one.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayon
i feed every 4 days. 10 seems a little long to wait!
that, of course, depends on the age/size of the snake

Old 01-16-2006, 10:57 PM   #10
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky
How are you determining that your snake looks hungry??
My response is d) any of the above

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!