Is this a California Mt King or a Tarahumara Mountain King? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
sickmak90
Is this a California Mt King or a Tarahumara Mountain King?

I purchased this snake several years ago and I believe it is a Tarahumara Mountain King but I cannot for the life of me remember. I remember it being Mexican so I am fairly certain it is a Tarahumara but would like to know for sure.

As I post this I am looking at pictures and maybe it wasn't labeled correctly and it is a Cal king. The all black snout leads me to believe it might not be a Tarahumara.

That picture is kind of old but its the best I currently can get.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
sickmak90
I can't seem to find any definitive information on the difference between all the California mountain kings and the Mexican ones. Can't find any pics of ones with irregular banding like mine.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
dieselfan
Does not look like a pyro or zonata. Appears to be a hybrid or an intergrade. Maybe try contacting who you bought it from to find out its actual lineage?

Old 02-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
sickmak90
I can ask the shop I bought it from but I don't think they actually bred it. They aren't even carrying colubrids anymore because they don't sell well.

It very well could be a inter grade cause I can't find any variation that doesn't have perfect bands.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #5
gmtenor
It's got to be either ruthveni or zonata

Old 05-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
clark cox
my 2 cents

Ruthveni or intergrade

Old 05-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
D Grade
I agree, might even have a mix of L.Z. Multicincta (Sierra Mtn. King) in it as well.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #8
Bsnakeguy
Tarahumara typically have a white snout and most Cal Mtn Kings have less of the head covered with black. Also the nearly complete bands around it disqualify it as Tarahumara- all that I have ever seen actually have a break in the banding on both sides running the length of the body. My best guess would be Mexican King snake. The irregular rings are not uncommon in mountain kingsnakes of all localities. I have a Cal Mtn king with similar irregularities in the banding. I hope this helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!