Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
96dak
Help

I bought my first beardie last week, after a week he still isnt eating nearly enough. hes about 2-2.5 months, in a 20 gal tank, i have a 100 watt basking light and a 18" reptiglow 10.0 (he camt get any closer than about 10"). temps in his basking area are between 102 and 105.6 measured with a digital probe. he is well hydrated with baths every night(currently in shed) and he will drink off the end of my finger. i would be ok but he has visibly lost weight in the last week. i will put a dozen crickets in his tank before work and at lights out im pulling 4-5 out. the pet store i got him from just got 2 new young dragons in and he fed them today and a dozen crickets didnt last anymore than 20 seconds. mine doesnt seem interested at all. any suggestions.

ps. i will be seeing the vet to see about a fecal tomorrow

Old 11-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
96dak
sorry, his poop has been regular everyday and not runny

Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96dak
ps. i will be seeing the vet to see about a fecal tomorrow
That is probably the best place to start right now. If it is determined that he does not have parasites or other physical problems you might try offering him something like mealworms, butterworms or waxworms, although I would go sparingly on the waxies as they are quite fattening and low in nutrients. Dust all food items with a good vitamin/ calcium supplement.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
96dak
ive tried both meal and silk worms with no interest. he ate 1 silkie and 3 out of a dozen mealworms. and have been dusting with vitamins (zoo meds reptivite) every other day and calcium every day. ill have to see what the fecal costs as cash is in short supply with christmas coming up

Old 11-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
LakesideBoas
If you are friendly with your reptile vet he may just let you drop one off (fecal) and have you check back for the results. That usually runs around 20-30 bucks for me.

In this case, since he's new to you. I would take him in and have him examined if he doesn't pick up eating for you. That may be cost prohibitive for you right now though, so I guess I should ask you how you've got him set up.

It could be something as simple as the basking spot is too warm or too cold. Either of those things can make them go off feed. Is he in a high traffic area? He may be disturbed if he is. The fact that he is eating some things for you is good.

He may just need time to settle into your home, also. Critters are funny. Sometimes I think they do things just to make us worry about them.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
96dak
all info on the setup is and temps are in my first post. the temps im getting are in the right ball park for a juvy.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Yes, I definitely think a fecal is the best area to start with.
Also, what type of basking lamp are you using? Is it a bright white light or a colored type of lamp?
Also, I would discontinue with the reptivite though. It has preformed Vitamin A which can cause toxicity, especially with the frequency that it is being given.
For vitamins I suggest repcal herptivite as they use beta carotene which is a natural form of vitamin A & he can convert the appropriate amount needed for him. It cannot be stored like the preformed synthetic type can.
That is also a possibility for his behavior maybe it is affecting him. You mentioned that his stools are regular & not runny? What do his urates look like? Are they hard or moist, & what color are they?

Tracie

Old 11-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
LakesideBoas
Duh...

I had read that too, and forgot while I was rambling!

Do you have a UV light for him also as that is very important? Reading the forum posts by Drache613 on UV lighting is very good information, also. If you haven't read it already, sit down while you are eating lunch or whatnot and read the reports linked to. It's a very good, well-written and informative read.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
96dak
drache613
my dragon has only taken the reptivite twice, but i will discontinue that until i can get the herptivite, and his basking light is an exoterra 100w sunglow, very bright uncoloured bulb, similar to a regular house bulb, basking temps range from 100 to 105.6. urates, is that the white stuff that comes out first, if so they are soft and formed.

lakesideboa

i do have a uvb light, exoterra reptiglo 10.0, i have read all the reports drache613 has linked to, as soon as i read them i moved his uv light so he was about 10" away in his basking area, will have to do untill i can order a reptisun 10.0 at the end of the week.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Great you have read the reports on the lights. Ok. Good that he has only had the reptivite a couple of times. I was afraid of him getting too much straight vitamin A. IF you want to continue giving it, that is fine. However, just give once a week then, ok, & that should be sufficient for that one. Continue with the calcium (phosphorus free) 5 times weekly.
Good to hear that the urates are soft & moist, so he is not dehydrated or oversupplemented, which was what I was thinking of as well. Yes, the urates or urine are the white portions of the stool.
Ok, great that you moved the reptiglo to 10 inches away from him. By the way, was it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil bulb? This would be helpful information for me, ok? Thanks. Your basking bulb sounds like it is bright enough then.
Keep me posted on him.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!