Anoles Wild vs Store bought - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Juxtaposition109
Question Anoles Wild vs Store bought

Hello All,
I've been interested in awhile in getting a Green Anole as a pet. This will be my first lizard as my only other pets are a couple of snakes. I have been reading a few books on them and from what I've read most Anoles sold in stores are actually wild caught. I happen to live in Florida where I see Anoles outside almost everyday so I was wondering your all's thoughts on just catching one outside and keeping it as a pet as opposed to going to a pet store and buying one for 6 or 7 bucks. I'm aware of the whole parasite issue etc.... but if most of the store bought one's are actually wild caught then what is the difference if I just catch one in my yard besides spending $7?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Tim Cole
There is no difference. I doubt anyone is breeding them for the pet trade and worming them! LOL

Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
I'd venture to say 100% of anoles in pet shops are wild caught. Perhaps once is a great while someone will successfully incubate eggs from a WC female and they will become available, but the times this occurs is very low.

In my opinion you'd be better off catching some outside if they are that readily available. It won't have gone through the stresses of capture, perhaps shipping, and the environment of the pet store itself.
At the very least you would be no worse off.

The upside to catching your own would be the limited stress, and the fact it was native to your backyard so if in a week or so you find yourself having trouble getting it to eat or whatever, it could be released easily at the point of capture.
I'd keep it strictly quarantined in another room away from other herps until it was established, just in case release proved to be necessary.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello All,
I've been interested in awhile in getting a Green Anole as a pet. This will be my first lizard as my only other pets are a couple of snakes. I have been reading a few books on them and from what I've read most Anoles sold in stores are actually wild caught. I happen to live in Florida where I see Anoles outside almost everyday so I was wondering your all's thoughts on just catching one outside and keeping it as a pet as opposed to going to a pet store and buying one for 6 or 7 bucks. I'm aware of the whole parasite issue etc.... but if most of the store bought one's are actually wild caught then what is the difference if I just catch one in my yard besides spending $7?
I totally agree with the other replies but I do want to touch on something else. You say, this would be your first lizard. May I ask what exactly are you looking for in a pet lizard?

I generally wouldn't suggest Anoles as good starter herps. If you're looking for something easy and handleable, an anole is not the best choice. Although they bear no relation, anole care is similar to that of chameleons: high humidity, easily-stressed, misting system of some sort (most anoles won't drink from standing water). You would essentially need to set-up a naturalistic terrarium with lots of foliage & full spectrum lighting....a different ballgame from the typical aspen shavings, cave, water bowl and heat pad for most snakes. So take this into consideration before acquiring an anole. This would not be something you could play with or handle; more like a fish with legs, something interesting to observe from outside the terrarium.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!