San Diego Vivarium and IBD - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-29-2002, 03:27 PM   #91
Dave Lawson
Chuck, so you and your knowledge think that it is alright for Cagle to be selling Boas after I.B.D. has been found in one or more of his snakes? See the fact is that it is Cagles non-caring attitude that has everyone so fired up,Because "if" he cared for the hobby so much then he would pull all his ads down and stop selling till we can all get a handle on this but instead he is taking a big chance of speading I.B.D. across the united states,do you agree with that? You are right and there is very little known about I.B.D. and according to a couple herp vets there is little known of how many different ways it can be spead.Now I think the reason Dale stopped selling is because he does not want to risk to  spread to other collections but Cagle does not care about anything but making money.Now a question to you,If I.B.D. was to have been found in a snake at your place would you keep selling Boas that may or may not have contracted I.B.D.? D ale was wrong and was a man about it and is trying to do something about it Cagle is doing the very same thing and all he has to say is I have a good reputation and it is everyone elses fault and people are picking on me,whine, whine ,whine.

Old 03-29-2002, 04:32 PM   #92
CFRB
Dave,
I will not sell a snake with any health problems, that are noticeable. The problem with IBD is it can lie dormant so if you sell boas it could happen to anyone. If I did not practice good husbandry,  and quarantine,  and housed my boas together or had a mite infested collection . And was notified of my situation by a customer I would consider my collection infected and would not sell.. But with the safeguards and procedures I use, as well as many others use, IBD would not have spread to the other animals.  It is insulting to suggest a man stops his sales or rights a disclaimer if he is using the recommended husbandry procedures. There is a lot of variance in the husbandry from one collection to another from lab specs, to the discussing . IBD is not an airborne virus.
Chuck

Old 03-29-2002, 06:38 PM   #93
Dave Lawson
So your answer is that if you had a case of I.B.D. in your facility you would not sell.Is that correct?

Right I.B.D. is not air born but it can be transmitted to other snake by several other ways touch,contact with the handlers clothes ect...hell a person can transmit it on the soles of his shoes.So unless you totally change and shower after you handle each snake no one can be sure.

Old 03-29-2002, 06:55 PM   #94
CFRB
Dave,
Can you send a link to this new finding of yours. How this non airborne virus can travel through the air and the carrier is clothes.

Old 03-29-2002, 07:09 PM   #95
Dave Lawson
I do not have a link I talked to Dr. Flemming at university of Florida and I got all my info from him about 6 months ago.

Old 03-29-2002, 07:49 PM   #96
Ken Harbart
Yhe last time I talked with Dr Elliot Jacobson about this topic, all available info points to IBD being passed through dierect contact with body fluids.

Certainly, IBD could be passed by conact with clothes... IF the infected snake leaves some form of fluid on your clothes, IF that fluid contains the virus, and if that fluids is then transmitted to the non-infected snake.

IBD in one's collection is certainly a scary prospect, but to keep it in perspective, it's not some mystical plague either.

To the best of my knowledge, the most recent info available on IBD is:
Jacobson ER, Oros J,Tucker S, Pollock D, Vaughn K,. Munn RJ, Lock B, Mergia A, and Yamamoto JK. 2001. Isolation and Characterization of Retroviruses from Boid Snakes with inclusion Body Disease. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 62:217-224.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!